Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm slowing down as I approach a roundabout to only a few mph, change down to 2nd gear then, if I allow the car to continue rolling, it will almost refuse to accelerate in second if the roundabout is clear.

Similarly, I feel like I have to rev the car like a boy racer in order for it to have a guarantee that it will pull away smoothly (then spin it's wheels when the turbo suddenly kicks in).

This is all presumably turbo lag, but it seems to be ridiculously bad for a modern car. Am I just being sensitive after having driven mainly V6's before now? I'm sure my 1990 Alfa 33 was far quicker off the mark, despite a dodgy carburettor!!

Anyone think similarly?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is 8 months old, and has been like this from new.

The hesitancy is just so unpredictable that I end up blipping the throttle just to keep the turbo on the boil! Not my normal driving style at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I experienced this as well. I think it is partly your experience with the other cars, I have a V6 GT and the amount of low down torque has I think tended to make me a bit of a "lazy" driver with respect to changing gear. However I have had my MA for a year now and it does seem to be improving (along with the petrol consumption). I put it down to either the engine loosening up or possibly something in the engine management. Or I suppose I could just be adapting to driving it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose the thing that makes me believe there "may" be a problem is that I fairly regularly drive my Dad's 7 year old Fiat Doblo, and it has a far more flexible engine than my Giulietta (although none of the turbo punch, obviously).
I'm not expecting to be able to accelerate briskly whilst in a high gear, just not be in a situation where the car has been idling along in, for example, 5th gear at 30mph and I want to get by a cyclist quickly and it simply won't pick up speed whatsoever!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
My GQV is also difficult to pull away normally, it idles so low that you have to give a little throttle Yi pull away else it will stall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its a small displacement engine you'll have to rev it to get moving until the turbo spools up, definately requires a different driving style to a v6.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you are attempting to pull away at anything less than say 1,600/1,700 rpm this sounds normal for a modern turbo diesel. In previous (company/lease cars, I wouldn’t do this in my own) I’ve treated them quite brutally when I’ve been caught dozing in this situation. Full throttle and slip the clutch until it gets going. I find the G better than previous diesels tbh, some have simply stalled with absolutely no warning.

It seems to be a characteristic of modern diesels. Although I have a diesel I’d take a petrol everytime.

Doh, just read it's a petrol. So can't help. Maybe it's to do with the small displacement

·
Registered
696 Posts
As other have said, I think it is the "style" of the rather than something wrong. I think that anything up 1500/2000 rpm the torque is nearly none, pick power seems to be 3500 rpm (not recommended when pulling away form a stand still) I had the same in my 159 JTS, and not having a turbo didn't help.
Before Alfas I drove V6 and TDI which makes for a lazy driving style.

Plans for my G is a remap purely to improve low down torque

·
Registered
207 Posts
My GQV is the same, in Normal you need to stand on the accelerator, in Dynamic you need to caress it... either way on occasions I can still manage to stall or wheelspin

·
Registered
22 Posts
I experience the same on my TCT 1.4MA. It's as though the transmission is wondering what gear it should be in, and then you would have to step on the gas for it to shoot off. No real sense of modulation there. Quite annoying if you're driving away from a speed bump uphill.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The GQV is so just not made for standing starts and Traffic Light drag races, unless you want to look stupid or like a total hooligan......but once it is up and moving on an open road, it's a different matter :thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 1.4MA is just over a year old and this issue is HUGE. I have the TCT which, I think, is even worse as you don't have the option of a manual accelerator blip to get the revs up. I would say there is nothing wrong with your car as such, they are all like this.

IMHO, this is a really dangerous thing and Alfa could be liable when a fatal accident happens as someone pulls out into traffic expecting their car to move. Alfa really need to recalibrate the TCT settings.

Dawdling through a roundabout may only be frustrating but not being able to get out of a dangerous situation is... well, dangerous.

When I test drove the Giulietta, I was trying to gauge how well and fast the TCT shifted gears as it was my first automatic car. I forgot to actually test out how well it worked at walking speed.

I would think the issue would be less noticeable in a diesel with its wider spread of torque.

I still have my manual 147 and it is far more tractable albeit slower overall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 1.4MA is just over a year old and this issue is HUGE. I have the TCT which, I think, is even worse as you don't have the option of a manual accelerator blip to get the revs up. I would say there is nothing wrong with your car as such, they are all like this.

IMHO, this is a really dangerous thing and Alfa could be liable when a fatal accident happens as someone pulls out into traffic expecting their car to move. Alfa really need to recalibrate the TCT settings.

Dawdling through a roundabout may only be frustrating but not being able to get out of a dangerous situation is... well, dangerous.

When I test drove the Giulietta, I was trying to gauge how well and fast the TCT shifted gears as it was my first automatic car. I forgot to actually test out how well it worked at walking speed.

I would think the issue would be less noticeable in a diesel with its wider spread of torque.

I still have my manual 147 and it is far more tractable albeit slower overall.
there are many slower cars on the road...so not really a legitimate argument if you have an accident because of this. just dont try to run through a level crossing from standstill

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
As other have said, I think it is the "style" of the rather than something wrong. I think that anything up 1500/2000 rpm the torque is nearly none, pick power seems to be 3500 rpm (not recommended when pulling away form a stand still) I had the same in my 159 JTS, and not having a turbo didn't help.
Before Alfas I drove V6 and TDI which makes for a lazy driving style.

Plans for my G is a remap purely to improve low down torque
Totally true. Alfa claims max torque @2,250 rpm but the car starts going from 3,250 (and so show the torque charts on tuners' web pages) with a bit of a turbo lag, which makes it pretty annoying, actually. You can drive with constant speed at around 1,700 rpm but if you want to overtake you have to reduce by at lest 2 gears. Just like in a normally aspirated engine but there you won't have the turbo lag.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Perhaps I should clarify my point. I was not complaining about speed off the mark - which I think is perfectly ok. My issue is with around 5-10 km/hr - like when approaching a give way sign and slowing rather than stopping or slowing on approach to a roundabout. With the car mapped for economy, the revs are kept very low. The car generally stays in second gear. Put your foot down when there is a break in traffic and you pull out but then can't accelerate away. In a manual maybe you could put it into first but the TCT doesn't like that. With TCT you really need to stop, put it in first and then go. Because this is not a normal way to drive you then run the risk of someone running into your rear end.

I think it is dangerous and spoils the whole Alfa enjoyment thing. I still love Alfas and the Giulietta too - it just could be so much better

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
@Pseudoguru

There was an update about six months ago to the TCT control software, which improved low-speed gearshifting (among other things). Has your car been updated?

see thread

1 - 20 of 46 Posts