Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I had a light on the dash, the injector light, and the engine fans were on even though the car was cold. It turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor which has just been changed by the garage. The problem I have now is that the engine fan will not come on when the temperature passes 90 degrees. In fact, it has gone up to about 110 degrees without the fan coming on.

- I have checked the connections, all see ok.
- I have connected multiecuscan and have seen no errors (apart from the saved water temp sensor error).
- I have used the actuator function and have switched on the low speed fan...no noise or movement and then the high speed fan, this kicked in without a problem....so I think the fan does work - no wiring, relay or fuse issues (i think!)

So, the problem seems to be somewhere between the car detecting its hot and sending a message to the fan to cool it down. I have a phase 2 and I don't believe they have the fan switch on the radiator (I have checked on mine, no switch). I have seen a brown connector on the fan housing (resistor??) and have seen a few posts about its purpose but I cant be sure this is causing the problem....and I still don't understand its purpose!

Could anyone give me some ideas to where I should be checking/replacing?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I switched temp sensor with a supposedly compatible one from the net and it did exactly what yours is doing. Turned out that the new coolant sensor was no good !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its been a bit of a nightmare ordering the sensor. Main dealer say they don't do them any more....Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got one from alfa workshop...its a 3 pin one. When the sensor was changed, the light went out. I think it could be a dodgy sensor...will know when I have a new one from Alfa Workshop

·
Registered
248 Posts
its been a bit of a nightmare ordering the sensor. Main dealer say they don't do them any more....Where did you get yours?
I ended up putting the old one back in which worked fine thankfully ! I was doing a stat change and thought I'd do the sensor at the same time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as an update if anyone is interested, it was the temp sensor. Seems the Contitech Temp sensors from various autofactors do not work that well. Luckly the one from Alfaworkshop worked a treat and now the fan comes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts