Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the tech section earlier, but maybe more people will see it here. Sorry, I'm new to the forum!

Went into my local AR dealer today. Loved the Brera (no surprise there).
Just as I was leaving, I casually asked about their finance deals.
Salesman told me that they are offering a special contract hire deal for the 3.2 Brera q4, which is approx £2800 deposit, & then £350ish for 3 years, & if I wish, repeat the deal all over again. For that I get a top of the range Brera, brand new, & the only extras I have to pay for is petrol & insurance. In 3 years time, I hand back the keys, so basically I am renting the car for £350 pm.
OK, so I never actually own the car, & have no equity in it. But I have consistantly had car loans of one sort or another running for the last 15 years or so. After 3 years, more or less whatever car I've had, I'm ready to change it, so I get another car, & another loan.
With this deal, I'd be paying similar money to what I am used to, but getting a brand new (very nice) car, with all servicing, tyres, tax, etc included in the deal. Sounds VERY tempting. Am I missing something??
All comments very welcome.
I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight!
Cheers, matt.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I think the only thing is that after the three years you might not have any equity left in the car to use as a deposit for your next one.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jamieboy,
Thanks for the quick response. I know that I will definitely not have any equity for my next car in 3 years time, I'll have to accept that I will have to put another £3k ish into their pockets & start all over again. But this is quite similar amounts of dosh to what I've been doing historically anyway. ie buy a car on a loan, keep it for 3 years & then p/ex it in for another one, & put a bit into the pot. I'm not one for keeping my car for more than about 3 years.
Are there any other problems I've missed?
Cheers, matt.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
thats what i'm thinking of doing with a 159. Did they say how many miles this is based on?
Tis usually 10,000 - which is a joke!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only do about 10k a year, (we have a family car which is the workhorse), & thats what I told the salesman. I think he said the offer was based on 12k miles per year, but it could have been 10k miles. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to get more info, & I will post any significant info.
ps he did tell me that the offer was on the 3.2 159 as well as the Brera.
Apparently there is some existing stock of the 3.2 cars which need to go. The offer will be open until june or so, & once the cars have gone the offer closes. ie the cars are already built, & so spec./colour is fixed.
I assume that the 3.2's are harder to sell compared to the diesel models?
Matt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've just taken them up on this offer with a 159 V6. I got one of the few red ones. Apparently 90% of the cars are black, most of the rest are grey and four of them are red. Or, they were red, since they are now gone. I am pretty sure I got the last one.

I thought it sounded like a good deal. Especially since no PCP quote came anywhere near to the price.

Plus, the speed at which the stock of cars is going down does seem to suggest that other people think the deal is good as well.

The offer is 12,000 miles per year, fully maintained.

For what its worth I also took a 3.2 Brera for a spin when I ordered the 159. I wanted to hear the engine and I fancied taking one for a ride. I get on well with my dealer so he was happy to throw me the keys to the Brera and let me go and have some fun on my own.

I loved it. Its a great car. I need a four door car, hence the 159, but if I wanted a coupe I would take a Brera in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I agree with BF :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to say that I went back to the dealers today, & had a somewhat frustrating time of it.
They initially that there was 3 Breras in my chosen colour.The dealer then phoned up to confirm availability. It all went a bit downhill from there. There was a delay in getting confirmation. I said no probs, can I have a quick spin in that 3.2 159 whilst I'm waiting for the call back? No problem, & very nice it was too. But no confirmation was available on my return. The deal is brokered by Fiat leasing company, & the person in charge of who gets what car was not at work. So the dealer was trying to get hold of someone else who could say with authority that my chosen car was available.
Now I was ready to sign on the dotted line for a £30kish car, so I didn't think it would be much hassle for someone in authority to say "yep, ok its yours". But after 4 hrs or so with no joy, I basically got bored of waiting. "It'll be no more than 30 more minutes, & then we'll definitely get an answer as to whether its available or not". I couldn't hang around any longer, left my home number, & left. About 2 hrs later, I got a phone call from the dealer, saying that they still hadn't heard back.
I'm now away on business for a few days, by which time its possible that the Breras in my chosen colour will have been allocated. I've left the dealers with a token deposit to put down on a car if it becomes available, but I had no idea it would be such a convoluted process.
I would have thought it should be easy.
eg "hi there, AR dealer here. I've got a potential customer here who wants to take up our offer on a blue 3.2 Brera. Have we got one for him? Yes, great, I'll get the paperwork drawn up, or no, sorry, but how about a................... instead?"
Whats so difficult?
Is this what the brave new world of the new improved AR experience is all about, or am I being a bit touchy?
matt.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Matt. Nice problem to be losing sleep over...pity about the frustrations, hopes it all works out fine.
The only comments I can add is that the risk of excessive milage and/or unexpected loss of value (major accident, etc) will be borne by yourself in the case of this kind of finance deal. Though I'm sure the risk can be explained away easily enough when you're in the presence of the car...:D

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Just to say that I went back to the dealers today, & had a somewhat frustrating time of it.
They initially that there was 3 Breras in my chosen colour.The dealer then phoned up to confirm availability. It all went a bit downhill from there. There was a delay in getting confirmation. I said no probs, can I have a quick spin in that 3.2 159 whilst I'm waiting for the call back? No problem, & very nice it was too. But no confirmation was available on my return. The deal is brokered by Fiat leasing company, & the person in charge of who gets what car was not at work. So the dealer was trying to get hold of someone else who could say with authority that my chosen car was available.
Now I was ready to sign on the dotted line for a £30kish car, so I didn't think it would be much hassle for someone in authority to say "yep, ok its yours". But after 4 hrs or so with no joy, I basically got bored of waiting. "It'll be no more than 30 more minutes, & then we'll definitely get an answer as to whether its available or not". I couldn't hang around any longer, left my home number, & left. About 2 hrs later, I got a phone call from the dealer, saying that they still hadn't heard back.
I'm now away on business for a few days, by which time its possible that the Breras in my chosen colour will have been allocated. I've left the dealers with a token deposit to put down on a car if it becomes available, but I had no idea it would be such a convoluted process.
I would have thought it should be easy.
eg "hi there, AR dealer here. I've got a potential customer here who wants to take up our offer on a blue 3.2 Brera. Have we got one for him? Yes, great, I'll get the paperwork drawn up, or no, sorry, but how about a................... instead?"
Whats so difficult?
Is this what the brave new world of the new improved AR experience is all about, or am I being a bit touchy?
matt.
Sorry to hear about your problems and frustrations:( :( :(

However I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :D :D :D

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Assuming there's any left. Mind you, the dealer would have a moral obligation to supply a "new build" one on those terms too, surely?

:D

Good luck!

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
thing is, if AR want to be succesful, this should not happen in this manner? Why is there only one guy dealing with this? Why be reliant on one person to say whether that car is available or not, after 4 hrs your good to leave a deposit, I'd be out looking at alternatives and I wouldn't have waited 4hrs!

BUT good luck on your search, hope it eventually pays off..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Assuming there's any left. Mind you, the dealer would have a moral obligation to supply a "new build" one on those terms too, surely?

:D

Good luck!

Ralf S.
Thats what I thought at first, but no, they won't apparently.

The deal is only on launch stock. A number of 3.2 cars, Brera and 159 were built and came to the UK. These cars have not sold as a result of so many people buying the diesels instead of the 3.2s.

Alfa want these cars cleared and are doing this deal only on those specific cars.

I know it sounds like a sales ploy, but every single dealer, even those who cannot supply a car, seems to agree that the deal will not be available on factory orders one the launch stock is gone.

Of course, you could wait and see what happens, but my feelings were that the deal was genuinely very good (I didn't expect to be in a 159 3.2 for £350 ish a month - not even close) so I took a car.

If you want a car, and you can take it soon, then I think the deal is worth taking.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
The deal is as Brass revolver describes.
AndyG also has a good point.
matt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts