Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend has been looking for a Mito for a couple of months now. viewed a few that were tatty. Anyway we found one at a main Alfa dealer in the north west that I shall not name.

The car looked good one owner from new and all paperwork was present and in order and we left a £500 deposit to collect in a week, all went very well until........that evening I was looking at the pictures on the website and noticed this.........:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
Oh dear...

However Extra pedals are great if you have a nervous passenger.

Or if you run a driving school. :lol:

At least you spotted it on the pictures, that is the main thing. I bet the clutch will be well worn on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol :lol:

It was taken as a px by them so they knew full well and even took pictures with them in then removed them.
It was sold as a ONE owner car, and it had a private owner on log book.
Prob had in excess of 200 inexperienced drivers the gearbox, clutch DMF, steering ETC would be f**cked.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
If it was cheap enough and was advertised correctly it could be a good deal. But it would be a risk.

Some poor soul will buy it not knowing it's history that is for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasnt cheap it was being sold at book dealer price as a one owner car.
It is illegal,
Then they tried to say they photoshop a lot of their pictures :lol:
Got deposit back though, and the car has gone off autotrader and the dealer website?????

We have found a new one now though and pick it up tomorrow :)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well could have been a one owner car, lots of independant driving schools, so not really illegal, although it may have showed up on the logbook as a driving school who owned it depending on how they bought it.

Still wouldn't want it though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
according to the office of fair trading its a breach of several regulations for a used car garage to mislead a consumer, and it specifically gives the example in its guide about a garage selling an ex driving school car as a one owner car.
You could understand if the dealer did not know because the pedals had been removed before the previous owner traded the car in, but they removed them !!!
The salesman even said to us they took the trade in from a local man, and he said its one owner which is always a good thing........
I should really post the reg on here so none else gets caught out, i very nearly did

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill not say what dealer it is but someone has had a very good guess.................
Just shows how dodgy they are, they wont be touching our new Mito not even for a basic service.
I feel very very lucky I spotted the pedals, on way to pick new car up now :)
they even try to add money on agreed price when invoice was printed, but I checked before we signed. And they also fobbed us off with transferring private number plate, and got us to do it ourselves. New garage no problem at all and are even making us new number plates.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's nuts!!!!

My Dad got stung on that one once with a Golf, was 5 years old when he got it, 3 owners, nice car with the 1.9 TDi GT spec and 130 bhp, you'd never think it'd been a driving school car, maybe a boggo one, but not a full fat GT-TDI and he didn't think anything of 77k miles. One day we changed the pollen filter under the glovebox and what was there?

Yup, evidence of the dual controls!!! The car was fine fundamentally, but from a main dealer and up at full whack, that's below the belt and they should know better :rant:

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
It is a similar trick to Alfa dealers selling Ex-Hertz cars as one owner cars previously owned by Alfa.

I bet hire cars get nearly as much abuse as driving school ones.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
according to the office of fair trading its a breach of several regulations for a used car garage to mislead a consumer, and it specifically gives the example in its guide about a garage selling an ex driving school car as a one owner car.
Actually the garage is under no legal obligation to disclose this unless you specifically ask, and unless you're lucky to spot something like you, then the only way you would find out would be to contact the previous owner, who, if it was one of the larger companies like AA or BSM would be a Fleet operator like Lombard who are legally obliged to tell you who the user was.
And that still doesn't cover the thousands of independents who take the duals out before trading their old cars in, they don't have to tell the garage what the car was used for and are very unlikely to as they will already lose a lot of the on the car due to the mileage it will have covered.
I agree though it's not right.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All of the above is true, if the car is bought on finance and let go at the end of the contract, it'll only show the finance company as the owner, some people wouldn't think to call them if the pedals had been removed well. As I said, your never safe unless it's a convertible car your after, you can't take a test in one (or a 4x4, but you can take a trailer test, dunno if they have duals or not)

In my area some of the independents have real nice cars like Golfs, Leon's A3's and 1 local independent has a fleet of 09 1 Series' not just supermini's that get the learners :wow:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts