Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma

The clutch has just gone on my 53 plate 147 jtd 16v. It’s done 111000 so not bad I suppose! But I am pretty sure the DMF is gone too from symptoms I have read about, will know for sure when work begins. I will of course fit a new clutch but do I fit a brand spanking new DMF for £320 + or do I fit a used one I can get for £78 that has done (supposedly) 43k? My car is not worth much now and we don't do many miles it so am reluctant to fork out vast sums of money.

What would you do?

·
Vendor
45,851 Posts
How long do you intend to keep the car for after doing this work?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Well as DMF's can be ruined in 50k by really ham footed drivers no I'd buy a new one and not risk it.

L

·
0 Posts
if you enjoy removing & fitting gearboxes then replace just the clutch, in a few weeks or months you may have to do it all again.

How much play is in the flywheel? CW movement? CCW movement? with the engine idling is the DMF jingling?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will know more once its taken apart. Before the clutch went there was a lot of vibration at idle even after injector + egr cleaning and severe judder with some gear changes. Also cold starts were quite difficult, despite new plugs, all though im not sure this is directly related.

would i be able to tell how worn the new (used) one is from inspection?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
There should be no more than half an inch of side to side play in the dmf centre in comparison to the edge as I remember. My DMF was fine with this but it had been pulled off centre just slightly un balancing it so you can't just trust the side to side test. Plus you shouldn't be able to hear any rattling of springs. At 111,000 miles it's done well. That is just over the average (mine made 140k but most others don't. Just fit a new one or as lacken says expect to be pulling it apart again real soon :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
noted, thanks for your advice. Suppose i'd better dig deep and be left with hugs and good wishes for christmas this year!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just shelled out £465 for the parts which i am sure is one of the cheapest prices around. Now lets see how much the spanner man charges for a 'days' work.......

·
Banned
857 Posts
If you must use second hand, why not fit a new clutch plate and used solid flywheel combo? There's a thread in here somewhere detailing how someone used a FIAT coupe flywheel they had lying on a shelf somewhere which fitted without modification. Only difference was less than and inch more travel in the clutch pedal....

G

·
0 Posts
You do niether... Like Rico says... Fit a solid billet flywheel (Valeo do a DMF replacement type IIRC) with a nice new uprated clutch plate and then the only worry with a JTD will be twisted driveshafts and boots if you are stupid enough to apply the right foot heavily at every junction:lol:
That's my brother in law's issue!:rolleyes::D

Seriously, fitting a solid flywheel is a trade off though...

Down side:
You will find that the engine will have more vibration on tick over, like a throbbing sensation. But you will also have a more unforgiving clutch pedal feel when it comes to stalling (and you will .... At first) but you will get used to that just like starting to drive a new car...

Up Side
Less slipage, more positive feel and abilility to apply the torque the way it was meant to be... And.... A lot less to to go wrong in the future.

You have to consider exactly what type of driving style you have and what do you prefer... Be honest with your answer... If its lazy and comfortable style then the solid flywheel isn't for you!:thumbs:

Hope this help in your descision.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I looked at solid flywheels and clutch and they were like £700 :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts