Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding fluid/oil stains under the car in the last few days. It's clean fluid, not engine oil. I'm certain I've a leak at the power steering pump but the level of fluid in the reservoir isn't changing. Is there a vent procedure for the power steering pump? How can I check the pump is not about to run dry?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The power steering pump will whine and moan when run low or dry till it goes pop. What colour is the liquid? you an check the power steering fluid by turning the steering lock to lock a few times with engine running and check the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reservoir is full. I thought it might be a case of turning lock to lock.

I recently had a leak at a corroded pipe, it caused the pump to run dry and as you say, knackered the pump. Got a used one from a breaker and it's now on the car but there is still a leak somewhere. I'm going back to the garage tomorrow to get it checked but don't want to run it dry before then. Because I'm not seeing any drop in level in the reservoir, that's making me think the pump is running part filled with air which needs vented.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Which side is the leak? And what colour is it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure it's not a leaking headlight washer?
Haha I hope not!

Hard to tell, it's finding its way out the alloy under tray what looks like nearer the drivers side. Just home now and about to go for a quick look while there's some light left.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure it's not a leaking headlight washer?
Do you know, you might be on to it. The bumper was off to do the oil cooler and powder coat the grills. Might be the headlight washer? Cheers for that.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
N/S drivers wheel look at gearbox oil seals mate

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N/S drivers wheel look at gearbox oil seals mate
Ok cheers Joss. It's defo oil as the marks are still on the drive from the weekend. Photo attached is looking down below the reservoir which all looks a bit wet.
The fluid in the reservoir doesn't look great either, chocolate brown.
On the drivers side I've got a leak at the back of the rocker cover that's going down onto the manifold and heat shield. It's going to the indy tomorrow, ahh the joys.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts