Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have purchased some OEM body kit from Alfa. (Not cheep) But at a loss with regard to the tailgate spoiler (its sprayed an ready to fit) The trouble is how best do I fit it. Yes its glued on and that's not the problem. Do I remove the original mini spoiler (which is bolted and stuck on) or do I leave it and stick the bigger and better 'new' spoiler onto the smaller one?
I have looked at press photos and cannot make out how Alfa intended the spoiler to be fitted. I can do it either way, but want do it the way Alfa intended. Obviously removing the original spoiler will be a little tricky, its two bolts and I am assuming the paint work beneath will be intact and not damaged once I remove the adhesive? But it will leave two small bolt holes in the tailgate to fill as the new spoiler I believe will not cover them. Anybody had the experience of fitting this? :thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Guys, I have purchased some OEM body kit from Alfa. (Not cheep) But at a loss with regard to the tailgate spoiler (its sprayed an ready to fit) The trouble is how best do I fit it. Yes its glued on and that's not the problem. Do I remove the original mini spoiler (which is bolted and stuck on) or do I leave it and stick the bigger and better 'new' spoiler onto the smaller one?
I have looked at press photos and cannot make out how Alfa intended the spoiler to be fitted. I can do it either way, but want do it the way Alfa intended. Obviously removing the original spoiler will be a little tricky, its two bolts and I am assuming the paint work beneath will be intact and not damaged once I remove the adhesive? But it will leave two small bolt holes in the tailgate to fill as the new spoiler I believe will not cover them. Anybody had the experience of fitting this? :thumbs:
I have no experience in relation to your specific query on the MiTo.

Are you sure that you can put the new spoiler on leaving the original one intact ?
Many use 'fishing line' to cut through the adhesive of older glued on bits.
Could you not use the '2 holes' for the new spoiler ?
The previous posting does sounds the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, do appreciate your reply, and yes aware of the string tread/fishing line method to remove glued on parts. I did indeed ask the dealer and they said simply that it fits over the existing. The thing is the part according to Alfa fits all Mitos from 2009, clearly that's not the case and in away this part is misrepresented by Alfa. I took time to have a another look today and I am at 90% to moving toward removing the original spoiler as and whilst its possible to have both fitted it will look ridiculous at close quarters. One thing is sure mind and that is the two bolt holes fixing the original spoiler will permanently show once the new one is fitted. So I will simply have to use some form of mush headed fixing colour coded to plug the holes rather than fill them. Which is not idea but the best and simplest option. Anybody else out there who's encountered this and has an alternative solution? Thanks to all once again for reading my thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts