Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm going to be ordering my new G very soon through a company car scheme.

Question is which spec, obviously Turismo is out.

Is it the usual case with between the L and V, one softer and one harder ride, the side sills and styling cues are obviously slightly different too but which car has the better standard equipment?

I will be going for a 2.0 D 170 TCT with paddles of course.

Cheers for your help

Andy

·
Registered
209 Posts
on handling alone, i'd go with the veloce spec. it is a firmer ride than the lusso, but it's surprisingly forgiving even so and it handles a lot better than the lusso suspension in my view, which i find a bit too soft. i think the main thing you will miss on the veloce spec is parking sensors and visibility pack, both of which are now standard on the lusso i believe. however, you can add these to the veloce should you so want.
the veloce spec is actually pretty good value in terms of the standard trim/wheel changes - things like the aluminium kick plates really make a difference.

it really depends what you're after. if you want comfort and a few extra toys thrown in, go for the lusso. if you want better handling and a nicer trim level, go for the veloce. (though having said that, i think some aspects of the lusso interior are better than the veloce! - it all comes down to personal taste.)

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
one thing to consider is the effect of the dark headliner on the Veloce which I found a bit intrusive compared to the grey one on the Lusso.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yeah, that's a good point, i'd forgotten about that, though i do prefer the dark headliner. i prefer the dash colour on the lusso though. and to be honest, i don't really like the red stitching on grey leather of the veloce trim, but each to his own. i'd prefer some kind of hybrid of the two, but sadly that ain't possible :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well sadly my days of barmy driving are gone now, 1 kid and another on the way, but is the lusso good for chucking around those rare occasions I am without kids?

Does the Lusso sit a bit higher than the veloce? Something I'm a bit wary of is the gap as I remember the 156 looking like it had milk bottle tops on with standard wheels and standard lusso suspension.

I had noticed there was a few more luxuries on the lusso but are these more token items, like the parking sensors, why would they be needed on a mid size hatch?!

Can the side sills be spec'ed on to the lusso to finish the look off too?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been waiting for this day to come around and dont want to miss a trick!

·
Registered
209 Posts
the lusso is really good fun to drive and still very chuckable, it just doesn't stick to the road as well as the veloce. it's even more fun when you put it in D :) - i'm sure the kids will prefer it in D as well!

the suspension height is no different, though i would upgrade from the standard 16" alloys as otherwise the wheel arches looks a bit big, and it firms up the ride a bit.

parking sensors - i wouldn't actually mind having these as rear visibility isn't great, but you can easily live without them. factory fit is the best option, after market installs don't include visual display apparently.

you can add the side sills, but they're not peanuts from what i remember. once you start adding bits on to make it more like the veloce, you end up realising you'd be better off with a veloce in the first place.

in summary, the lusso is a great spec, particularly with the additions they've made to the spec since launch. the visibility pack, which many might think a bit gimicky, is worth it just for the electrochromatic mirror darkening thingy - the auto wipers and auto-lights i can live without. i seem to remember there are also refinements to the air filtering - it's called Air Quality System or something - still not really sure what it does!

i've got the lusso with the linea accessories 18 inch alloys. there have been a few toys added for free since launch which i don't have (such as parking sensors). i didn't go for the veloce for trim reasons, but if i was buying again, i would get the veloce. however, i seriously doubt you would be disappointed with the lusso.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hope this helps somewhat. Just picked our G up on Sat' [not tct tho] We have the Veloce with 18" [which we did not know about!] red callipers/ parking sensors. I had to have the black interior as i think it just makes the whole cabin more relaxed, i am sure our seats are black leather? not sure now, or perhaps a very dark grey? personally the red stitching really sets it off.
Not driven the T but ours handles really well, yes it is perhaps a bit firmer? both are a winner, but remember the sensors as you can't see low obstacles.
Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
When I was deciding I had to twist my wifes arm to let me have a veloce with the dark headlining. I got one and I don't notice it (looking out of the windows I suppose). The dark headlining does appear on a Lusso if you spec the sunroof I think.

Ultimately i would have wanted a compromise: Lusso with bigger wheels, Veloce with visibility pack, but in the end it was easier to find a Veloce than a Lusso in the colour I wanted (anthracite) and as I was buying secondhand I wanted to avoid the two tone upholstery which i wasnt too keen on

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definitely Veloce. Lusso looks underspec'd I reckon. As others have said have a look at the wheels and the interior leather if you can afford it. 8C red probably out of the question I spose!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same choice recently, being a company car driver. I went for the Veloce because of the looks. What you miss out on in not having the lusso is the visibility pack and the parking sensors, although both can be ordered as extras. You also miss out on being able to order the tan or red leather seats (OK you can order £1350 worth of red leather seat as an extra on a veloce).
Do not miss out on ordering the red brakes as they are actualy Brembo upgrades and so are a bargain. The other important choice is what size of alloys. I have the 5 pot 18 inch alloys which look great and the ride is still a lot better than my previous BMW.
Have fun running through the configurator multiple times! :inlove:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eastend, the 8C Red is most definitley IN the question, in fact the way our tax is worked out here it is the same price for any colour including the 8C Red. So that box has already been ticked along with the brake upgrade.

I think I am leaning more towards the Veloce now and would spec the visibilty pack up as that is only an extra fiver a month on my tax bill.

I was tempted to leave the wheels as the standard 17 turbines but think I am leaning more towards the 18 5 pot one nows.

Cheers for all your help, think this is still going to take me quiet a while to get the mix I am most happy with!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went for the Lusso back in June and am very happy with it. I took the Bose, radionav and parking sensors (techy additions!) The handling is superb, if it is softer than the veloce that suits me as the road i drive on are anything but smooth with plenty of speed humps locally. The vis pack as standard (was not an option for the veloce last June) is excellent and the AQS works so well keeping all windows clear in bad conditions with the family on board. I did however seriously consider the Veloce for the gorgeous cloth microfibre red stitched upholstery and the body trim.. in the end, i chose the right car for me. A wheel upgrade is on the cards when the boots wear out, though i do like the Lusso wheels, they do need the extra inch or two...

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
.... A wheel upgrade is on the cards when the boots wear out, though i do like the Lusso wheels, they do need the extra inch or two...
I like the style of the 16's it's just that they do look a bit small and what is so daft is that same style wheel is fitted to a 159 in 17" why didn't they use that instead????

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
Perhaps the 17s were Italian made .The original 16s on my car ,which I replaced with Italian built 18" Lineaccesories wheels, are made in China.

A

·
0 Posts
The Lusso's 16 inch wheels look like castors:( - horrid!

The Veloce looks a whole lot better but then you have to have those nasty seats:(

Good choice on engine though:thumbs:

I had a Mito TCT 135 as a loan car yesterday and it was the worst car I had driven in years. That auto box really ripped the car to shreads in my opinion. Its slow, clunky, jerky and just no fun what so ever. It couldn't even decide what gear to use.
I can't understand why people like these gearboxes to be honest. The 1.4 MA is such a superb engine with loads of low down torque and the gearbox always wants to change down a gear or too when you boot it thus defeating the object of having a torquey engine.:vomit:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
The Lusso's 16 inch wheels look like castors:( - horrid!

The Veloce looks a whole lot better but then you have to have those nasty seats:(

Good choice on engine though:thumbs:

I had a Mito TCT 135 as a loan car yesterday and it was the worst car I had driven in years. That auto box really ripped the car to shreads in my opinion. Its slow, clunky, jerky and just no fun what so ever. It couldn't even decide what gear to use.
I can't understand why people like these gearboxes to be honest. The 1.4 MA is such a superb engine with loads of low down torque and the gearbox always wants to change down a gear or too when you boot it thus defeating the object of having a torquey engine.:vomit:
I understand that the TCT in the G has been modified and improved a lot since it first appeared in the Mito. Those updates have now been applied to the Mito too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts