Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning (temp -6C) and this morning (temp -1C) my Giulia was running very lumpy on startup. It reminded me of back in the day when starting a car with a manual choke and it wasn't set correctly.
After a minute or so all was well and the engine would run as smooth as normal.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes nothing to worry about, is a common thing with the 2.0L multiair, worse when temperatures fall.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
1,047 Posts
Sounds like symptoms of multiair not working properly when cold, which causes misfire and lumpy idle. It is a known issue, which is resolved with replacement of the multiair unit.

P. S. Yes they always run bit rough when cold due to cat-preheating, but there is also misfire like idle which is a different thing and it is not normal.

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like symptoms of multiair not working properly when cold, which causes misfire and lumpy idle. It is a known issue, which is resolved with replacement of the multiair unit.

P. S. Yes they always run bit rough when cold due to cat-preheating, but there is also misfire like idle which is a different thing and it is not normal.
Misfire is exactly what it feels like. Is it something that would show up at the dealers when plugged into a diagnostic device?

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
1,047 Posts
Sometimes is does, as misfire and/or as uniair error - if it happens your warranty claim should be much easier. If misfire is big enough Start&Stop won't work, and it can also throw engine control light. Also, if you drive off immediately as you notice misfire at cold start, you will most likely also notice misfire during acceleration.

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce, Stelvio Speciale
868 Posts
Yesterday morning (temp -6C) and this morning (temp -1C) my Giulia was running very lumpy on startup. It reminded me of back in the day when starting a car with a manual choke and it wasn't set correctly.
After a minute or so all was well and the engine would run as smooth as normal.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
Yes when cold for the 1st minute or so it can be rough feels like a misfire nothing major and after a minute its fine.

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, if you drive off immediately as you notice misfire at cold start, you will most likely also notice misfire during acceleration.
Exactly how it felt. Thanks for the replies. If it doesn't show any worse symptoms over the weekend etc I'll wait until it's next service and mention it then

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
1,047 Posts
You have two threads about it and how changing a multiair unit fixed it. Here's one I found:

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is common, I have the same problem every winter. I've had it looked at but I've decided to just live with it. Anything to avoid Alfa dealers tbh, they just don't want to know when it comes to warranty work.

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
152 Posts
It’s the oil viscosity. When really cold the oil is too thick to operate the multiair effectively. Giuiliettas have a similar issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s the oil viscosity. When really cold the oil is too thick to operate the multiair effectively. Giuiliettas have a similar issue.
Had the misfire on mine when I first got it,wasn’t sure the supplying garage had done a proper service on it, easy part was checking the air filter abs that was black
Do as I work in a Fiat /jeep the dealership the correct oil and filters were purchased and an oil change done
The oil came out black, not what you would expect for a petrol car that had coverd under 1k since it was supposedly purchased

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
152 Posts
Had the misfire on mine when I first got it,wasn’t sure the supplying garage had done a proper service on it, easy part was checking the air filter abs that was black
Do as I work in a Fiat /jeep the dealership the correct oil and filters were purchased and an oil change done
The oil came out black, not what you would expect for a petrol car that had coverd under 1k since it was supposedly purchased
Ideally you need to know which oil went in to your car as 0w30 and 5w30 are listed. If you have 5w30 consider changing to 0w30 on your next oil change. If you’re already on 0w30 you might have to live with it.
Didn’t mean to put this as a a reply it was more like a comment to the OP.

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's booked in at the dealers a week today, so we'll see what comes of it.
Yesterday and this morning everything was fine on startup. Outside temperature around 3C

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce, Stelvio Speciale
868 Posts
Once warmed up do you get a problem when accelerating hard or is it only cold start for the 1st couple of minutes.
Mine is only for the 1st couple of minutes and only when cold overnight rest of the time it's fine, will be interested to see what they say, what dealer is it ?

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once warmed up do you get a problem when accelerating hard or is it only cold start for the 1st couple of minutes.
Mine is only for the 1st couple of minutes and only when cold overnight rest of the time it's fine, will be interested to see what they say, what dealer is it ?
It's only happened from a cold start-up. First thing in the morning and once after finishing work, so the car was sat for about 9 hours. Once it's been running a minute and the idle speed has settled down accelerating is normal with no hesitation at all.

It's booked in at Beechdale Derby, my local dealer (y)

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,235 Posts
They won't replace the Multiair module unless there are proper misfire codes and/or multiair actuator error codes. If the oil is old they should replace it with the correct grade in the manual with Fiat specification approval. It is fairly common for the 2.0 to run a bit lumpy on cold start in the winter. Rough idling is not an issue and once the oil warms up, the intake hydraulic actuators will start working better.

If there is a proper engine shaking misfire, the codes will be P0300 and P030X (X being the cylinder number) and sometimes a flashing CEL signifying Cat converter overheating.

·
Premium Member
42,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last two mornings with the temperature just below freezing point, she's started with no problems at all. wondering whether to cancel the visit to the dealers on Monday???

·
Registered
227 Posts
It really depends on if there are any faults logged. I checked mine last week and had the usual cylinder 3 misfire and UniAir cylinder 3 faults. None of these cause a CEL. Without any faults logged I wouldn't expect the dealers will do anything other than say they couldn't fault it. They may check oil status. Its still worth taking it in just to get it logged on the system.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts