Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..some advice please guys/girls : My warranty is up on 9th feb on my 05 156 and I want to insure against anything nasty and unexpected occuring. I currently have a policy with Autoprotect and they want 300 pounds to renew for another 12 months. However having read some horror stories about this company on a forum on Piston heads, I am not going to hand over 300 pounds to them...I am after peace of mind but with good value...Quentin Wilson's Warranty wise offers a comprehensive policy but it costs 500...a bit expensive. I have seen an AA policy on quoteline for 300 (covers everything) or 245(covers alot) and being the AA, I feel they could be trusted to pay up...the people on Piston heads seem to have good experience with the AA.....any suggestions welcome please....;)

V

·
0 Posts
put your money in a savings account and use it yourself if something goes wrong

·
Registered
745 Posts
As part of the deal when I bought my GT the dealer paid for a year's warranty with Car Care Plan. This was £142 for 12 months, £2000 limit. Don't know if this is a special deal for traders though.

PS - They are currently dealing with my claim for a failed alternator, I'll post back when I get the result. They have been very helpful so far.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
put your money in a savings account and use it yourself if something goes wrong
+1.

Never heard of positive feedback from any warranty companies (cue Pomeo :lol: ).

Quick to take your money, quicker to point out that whatever item might have failed, some intricate part of it will be classed as a wear and tear item.

I did use the AA one for a year but, again, when I needed to claim, same old BS and the car has to have physically broken down and be unrepairable by the recovery bloke for you to be able to at least make the initial claim. So, if you've only got basic relay cover, you're stuffed (unless of course you upgrade over the phone at the time you need it but then you'll only be told the item isn't covered when the repair van arrives to the call out anyway)

Good luck on finding the right policy though :thumbs:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good luck on finding the right policy though :thumbs:
Er, did you read my message above?

I've got AA Breakdown & Repair cover (£70, claim up to £500 five times in the year) for my 928 which, coincidentally, I am also currently claiming on...:(

·
Registered
745 Posts
i bet £500 dont cover much on a 928 s4
How true, the bill was £1500, making £7500 in 15 months :cry:

I bought the Alfa as a 'sensible' replacement (don't mention frying pans and fires ;)) but I won't sell the 928 until prices firm up in the spring.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...Have you seen the Warrantywise adverts with Quentin Wilson ? He seems to put his reputation on the line with this company. Having been quoted on line 500, I had a call today saying they could offer me a special offer of 12 months cover for 366...falling to 336 if I accept A £50 excess. Tempting, but only because Quentin puts his wieght behind it. I don't want to be in the position of paying out alot of money for a warranty, with a company who won't pay up when you claim. I have heard several posters on different sites say similar to the gent who says earlier....put your money in the bank...hmmmmmmm:confused:

V

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys...Have you seen the Warrantywise adverts with Quentin Wilson ? He seems to put his reputation on the line with this company. Having been quoted on line 500, I had a call today saying they could offer me a special offer of 12 months cover for 366...falling to 336 if I accept A £50 excess. Tempting, but only because Quentin puts his wieght behind it. I don't want to be in the position of paying out alot of money for a warranty, with a company who won't pay up when you claim. I have heard several posters on different sites say similar to the gent who says earlier....put your money in the bank...hmmmmmmm:confused:

i bet qw also got a big cheque from them

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes..I suppose that is to be considered...hmmm. There is some good feedback from some people on Piston heads, but also alot of bad stuff as well. Difficult to know what to do really.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Er, did you read my message above?
Yes I did, but just recounting the experiences that I had with said policy :rant:

Like I said, good luck with the policy hunting :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I had a Warrantywise product with my 155 - through the garage that I bought the car from. First 6 months free, then £150 for a further 6 months.

When the oil pump failed and knackered the engine, they said it was wear and tear. Hence my reluctance to ever purchase any kind of warranty ever again :rant:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ewww..thats not good is it...how can an Oil pump failure be wear and tear, unless your up near the astro mileage.....Thanks:(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well for those interested I went for a Warranty Direct policy covering everything but the kitchen kettle for £349. I couldn't believe how much they knocked off the original quote and added on every extra they had...one month free so 13 instead of 12, wear and tear, consequential loss, airbags, abs, emiisions, MOT failure....everything that normally costs more. So if anyone is considering a policy never ever accept the first ten quotes! Lol

Anyway, I hope I don't have to use it, but if I do, I will post on here to let you know what their like.

A

·
0 Posts
Lions den here....I worked as a claims controller and later assistant claims manager for a warranty company from early 1978 to late 1980 (it seemed longer at the time). I can assure you a lot of money was paid out. One of my ex-colleagues in the claims team is now the MD at Car Care Plan. (he worked a lot harder than me:rolleyes:)

Our face on our ads was Enery Cooper, who was nominally a director, but had no day to day involvement. Thus I think Quentin is just earning a crust, though I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the product. Its most probably fine.

As to an oil pump failure being wear and tear? Well I would have not accepted that judgement and would have taken it very much further I can tell you. We paid out for broken oil pumps in 1978 and I can't see anything has changed. Its a mechanical failure. We might reject high oil consumption as that really is down to wear and tear. It was not our job to turn old cars into new ones, or second hand cars with imperfections into perfect ones.

Were I to buy a warranty I'd be inclined to go with either an AA backed one, or with Warranty Direct, who seem to have a reasonable reputation. I don't know the others, so it would be unfair to comment about the others, and as you can see its thirty years since I was at the warranty coal face.

Are they worth it ? not for everybody, but they do give a lot of people peace of mind that in the event of expensive failure, some if not all of the costs will be offset. Always ask for a specimen policy, always check the exclusions carefully e.g. is Mini electric power steering covered under the power steering cover. Some say yes, others say no. You need to be sure before you pay out your dosh to buy such a policy.

I got a new heated rear window on our Skoda under the 6 months warranty that came with it from the Mazda dealer we bought it from. They probably claimed it as a water pump failure:lol:

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
745 Posts
As part of the deal when I bought my GT the dealer paid for a year's warranty with Car Care Plan. This was £142 for 12 months, £2000 limit. Don't know if this is a special deal for traders though.

PS - They are currently dealing with my claim for a failed alternator, I'll post back when I get the result. They have been very helpful so far.
Well, good news. The warranty company have approved payment of the cost of replacing my alternator - £335. So I can firmly recommend them, they have been very helpful especially as I had the work done before consulting them - they could have justifiably refused my claim. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts