Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good to see your problems finally solved but it leaves me a bit confused as to why I was seeing the same message under different conditions. I never had a problem starting and only saw the message along with the hill holder/vdc once the car had been run for 10 minutes or so, and then, only if I accelerated a bit rapidly. I knew the brake pedal switch was on its way out, but this message would appear reliably without touching the brakes. Once the switch was replaced, the message never appeared again so there must be some convoluted logic somewhere in the engine management.
I think the "vehicle protection system" entails more than just a steering lock.
I believe it also includes the immobilizer, alarm module, if present, and it is linked to the ECU and body computer. I can image any random (combination) of faults can trigger the error message.
i.e. if there is an issue with the starter system (pedal sensors disappearing after power-on) the immobilizer might be disabled for safety issues. This would in turn trigger a fault with the "vehicle protection system".

Similar to the steering lock sensors issue. If the steering lock sensor/body computer cannot 100% be sure the steering lock is disengaged, the car will not start.
Starting issues because the steering lock "disengaged" sensor is fubar? yeah that would be a long, very long search without reading the error codes first.

Most important thing here is to read codes before starting replacing or working on things. In all the issue's I've had it was clearly stated by the different computers what component or system was triggering the issue. Most EOBD computers will allow you to actuate certain actuators or live monitor sensors. That would help you pinpoint what components are faulty without ever touching a toolbox (apart from the Philips head screwdriver you would need to open the fuse-box).
The €40 + €15 I spend on AlfaODB and a chinese bluetooth ELM OBD reader has been well worth it in time saved alone. Not to mention proxy alignment costs saved in dealer fees or resetting the computer after maintenance I've done myself.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Don't think so.....
"vehicle protection system" is just the steering lock I think.. Alarms, immobilisers etc have their own warnings and dash notifications.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I ones pulled out the keyfob when my engine was running (shouldnt be possible) then i got that message to.
It disapeared again after starting the car

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
You can pull out the fob when the engine is running if you don't push it fully in, in the first place. In fact you can often start your car just by holding the key in front of the hole...not inserting it at all.....the receiver has a range of an inch or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't think so.....
"vehicle protection system" is just the steering lock I think.. Alarms, immobilisers etc have their own warnings and dash notifications.
Nope.. At least TEG reader can cause it as well. At least in my case it does. There are some fault codes stored in TEG and steering lock ECUs both saying the TEG is "not congruent".

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nope.. At least TEG reader can cause it as well. At least in my case it does. There are some fault codes stored in TEG and steering lock ECUs both saying the TEG is "not congruent".
I actually ordered a second hand replacement when I was getting the 'key not recognized' error to start with. Was thinking of swapping it even though my issue is fixed because the cover doesn't always return too well when taking the key out.

Do these need to be coded to the car in any way though?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts