Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"vehicle protection system not available" message is all i get when i insert key fob and press button to try and start engine:confused:. Can i reset this by disconnecting battery or something?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I get the same message, but when I take the key out.

Odd. The steering lock won't engage at all. Does yours work after you take the key out?

The dealer is looking at mine on Wednesday. Will let you know what they say.

Try unhooking the negative terminal for 10 mins, reconnect and see what happens. Won't do any harm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine too. I've been ignoring it for months as it is likely to require a new lock at circa £200+ fitted. I see the MOT now requires a working steering lock :(

Keep us informed of what the dealer says.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Its amazing what disconnecting the battery can do on these computer brained cars. Bit like a hard reset on a phone or PC.

Glad you got her starting again. Does the message come up at all now?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had this 2 weeks ago, car wouldn't start even after a battery reset, mine was covered under warranty, Circa £350 for the key fob and steering lock ECU

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Well, after a 2 and a half hour battery disconnect, still getting the message....

Looks like a trip to the stealer for a quote, then let the warranty pick it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi - how did you get on? Mine does this and will not bring up any of the regular warning lights prior to starting. It's never done it before and now won't go ! - Glyn

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I didn't get it sorted in the end. I've booked the car to be checked over on the 14th Feb, John will plug the computer in and see what is what.

He did suggest it could be a sensor fault on one or more of the doors? Said it has happened to a few 159/Breras over the past few years.
But, as it only happens when I take the key out, I shall wait until then......fingers crossed...

Have you tried the battery reset? Unhook the negative terminal for 10+ mins then reconnect?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Done that - no joy. Problem compounded by the pass side window having gone down when the door was opened and won't go back up due to no ignition lights! :cry:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I didn't get it sorted in the end. I've booked the car to be checked over on the 14th Feb, John will plug the computer in and see what is what.

He did suggest it could be a sensor fault on one or more of the doors? Said it has happened to a few 159/Breras over the past few years.
But, as it only happens when I take the key out, I shall wait until then......fingers crossed...

Have you tried the battery reset? Unhook the negative terminal for 10+ mins then reconnect?
Did you ever get to the bottom of this Wynne ? -mines doing exactly the same on taking the key out

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the car starts and otherwise runs OK, the message is probably a problem with the electronic steering lock. You can test this because with the key out, you will still be able to turn the steering wheel (well with difficulty due to lack of power steering).

Mine was fixed by:
a) removing and reseating the electrical connector from the electronic steering lock. I can't remember where I found this but it's accessible without removing too much trim.
b) resetting the module using a PC. AHM did this step for me.

I'm not sure whether step a was necessary but this was some 12 months ago and it's been working fine since *touch wood*.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have this at present. It seems to be connected to a knackered clutch master cylinder and the micro switches on the clutch and brake pedal. Have the dealer start there before they start poking around the dash.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The switches are about £15 each so don't be fobbed off (excuse the pun) with a new key first. Do a search on this forum and you will find loads on the subject.

I have only had the car about a month and I bought from what some may say is a reputable dealer but after spending a bit of time going over the car their 100 plus point check seems more like, let's wash and polish it and put it on the forecourt.... I've even called them and they just told me to speak to the warranty company rather than replace/repair themselves.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Change the battery in your keyfob.

I had exactly this issue a while ago, changed the battery on the car, disconnected it each time it did it (became a bit frustrating in the mornings)

In the end I tried a new keyfob battery from one of my works vans and I've not had the issue since.

(Can't unlock the works van remotely anymore though as the batteries dead :) )

Axe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts