Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have info on what code vehicals there are in SA and what they mean.

I'm aware of code 2 and 3. But only in a genral sort of way. Being that 2's are second hand and 3's are rebuilds.

But how much work needs to be done for it to become a code 3.:confused:
If I take a code 2 and do a full restore on it does it become a code 3 :mad: or if I swap the motor out does it then become a code 3 or it there another code for that?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good topic Mystic

I would also like to know if there is more to it than what I know..

I know if you swop the engine, change the color, join 2 bodies, if the cars been stolen and recovered, then it becomes a code 3 car... put it this way, if the important details have to change on the Lic disk then it goes code 3..

If Im wrong someone please tell me or if there is other info..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Code 1 New, unregistered or registered once.
Code 2 Used, Registered from new to used, second owner.
Code 3 Rebuild.

Code 3 is a bit of a difficult one to explain. If a vehicle has been de-registered (When written off or stolen and deregistered by the insurance company or owner) when re-registering to get it back "On the road" it becomes a Code 3.

When you put 2 halves of a car together it is possible for it to stay a code 2 as long as the chassis no plate isn't tampered with. Similarly if a vehicle is stolen and recovered but not deregistered it can stay a code 2, it will get police stamps (Vin no and engine no start with AAPV....)
When changing the engine in a car it stays a code 2 but the car must go for police clearance to get the new engine number onto the natis (License dept computers) Same if changing the colour of the vehicle.
Code 3 vehicles in general are worth a lot less because of the "rebuild" tag that scares people away.
None of the SA banks will finance vehicles that are Code3 or any vehicle with police Stamps (AAPV vin no's)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this of another forum

Code 4 = Permanently unfit for use (write-off, major structural damage).

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Should we not insist on code 5 then......description - Vehicles with no damage or problems, Driver unfit for road usage.
Taxis spring to mind here (although they are also mostly worse than a code 4 :cheese: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts