Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys,
I have a 1.9 M jet JTD and was told that diesel cars can run on up to 50% Rapeseed or Pure clean Veg Oil.

Could and Alfa 147 1.9 JTD M Jet cope with this?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I know someone who uses it in an old peugeot, but I wouldn't like to risk it in a modern JTD. Let's wait for someone else to try it. You can convert it to biodiesel with a chemical process which can be done at home. At present not really worth it.

A

·
0 Posts
It does work in the old type engines for sure. Its been on Brainiac and Mythbusters on TV. I know someone who runs a Rover 600 on it.However I'm fairly sure it would ruin a modern diesel. I heard of a local builder who put heating oil in his PUG Hdi and had a nasty result. Something to do with cetane ratings and ignition points of the fuel I think.
Someone will tell us in a while when the threads a bit older:)

·
Registered
910 Posts
hi guys i wouldnt put anything in your car other than normal deisel fuel ,i have looked in to this for my three artics that i own you can never trust the supply , 100% :eek: the fuel drys out fuel pump sills and gets very hot,ive spoke to many of the truck manufactures and apart from mercedes who said that running at a 15 to 20 % mix would be ok . most of the big hauliers run a 5% mix .i would only run it if i had a car woth 200 quid, because doing so invaludates your warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does work in the old type engines for sure. Its been on Brainiac and Mythbusters on TV. I know someone who runs a Rover 600 on it.However I'm fairly sure it would ruin a modern diesel. I heard of a local builder who put heating oil in his PUG Hdi and had a nasty result. Something to do with cetane ratings and ignition points of the fuel I think.
Someone will tell us in a while when the threads a bit older:)

Thanks guys don't think I'll risk it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know a couple of people who've tried in there cars. Fiesta and 406 neither had any trouble but both decided it wasn't worth it as a long term fuel. I saw one of the car shows running on veg oil/ used filtered chipfat and they said they had to swap the fuel filter regularly as it eventually starved the engine of fuel, that was probably down to the reused fat.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mate of mine has a 3 year old (I think) Vectra that he runs on 50% cooking oil with no problems at all. I'm not sure what injection system it runs (direct injection turbo or not) I'll ask him tomorrow and post back.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Attention pokerfool,
your post has been sent to the Humane Anti Alfa Romeo Abuse society or HAARAS
and someone will be knocking on your door very shortly to remove your Alfa Romeo to safety... ;) :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
I tried it in my old Diesel Metro which had a Pug HDi engine. Coughed a bit but ran okish. Stank the car out like a chipshop though!!!

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I thought biodiesel was ok straight form the pump, no conversion necessary :confused:

wrinx
I think he means converting straight vegetable oil into biodiesel, its done by using methanol and various other chemical things to lower the viscosity to something like white diesel. Then the bio could be used with no engine modifications. The two methods most used to run on SVO is either mix it with white diesel, to thin it out, or to start with SVO and make it into 'proper' bio. Some 1970s Land Rover diesels have been known to run on 75% SVO for summer off-roading..

Get some Olivio, proper Italian fuel :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Know what veggie based lub. oil did after a while, gummed everything up! Not quite the same I know, but still wonder what deposits would be left in a cool running Diesel? Bit Risky? Alright in an old Diesel cement mixer I reckon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts