Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a constant problem with 147s and 156s, but there doesn't appear to be any threads on here with this problem regarding the GT.

I was sitting outside the house tonight, in cold wet weather (as it is every day in Scotland), when I got the dreaded BeeeeeP BeeeeeP. Thought to myself "ffs, what is it now..."

Got the usual messages, "VDC System Failure", and "ABS Failure". I took the car a short run to see if the systems had infact failed, and neither the ABS or VDC was working. The car would skid under hard breaking, and can wheelspin with no computer interception.

Anyway... there doesn't appear to be any other GTs with the same problem, so should I report this to the dealer? (The dealer is sick of the sight of me).

Also to take into consideration that this is the first time this has happened... even though we've hard quite a harsh winter here.

Any help much appreciated.

Rab.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Defintely get it sorted fairly soon assuming that it was still present whent he car was restarted.
The electronic brake distribution mechanism (EBD) is pretty important even if you think you could cope without ABS, VDC, ASR.

A fairly inexpensive wheel speed sensor has probably gone, a quick fix for the dealer.

These fancy stability and traction systems have to be disabled as a precaution when this occurs. If the VDC doesn't know the speed of all 4 wheels the it could do really dangerous things that would cause you to spin.

Not sure its a constant problem with the range though, there have been a smattering of occurances I think.

Cheers,
TB

A

·
0 Posts
Honestly...I can guarentee you that the problem is down to the battery NOT any of wheel steering or yaw sensors.
Try looking at this thread.....http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-159/57135-battery-specifications.html?highlight=battery+specifications

I tested all of sensors in my 147 and the connections were all fine. Someone mentioned on here changing the battery and although doubtful that it would solve it, I tried it and it did!
The electronics (particularly multiplex) are so sensitive that if the battery is not in tip top condition and you find it's varying it's output, it can (and does) set off these errors. This often happens in colder, damper conditions as the battery is naturally not working at its strongest.

The added benefit of changing the battery is that it only costs £50-£60 which is as cheap as taking the car into the dealer for them to "analyse" the error.

I really would like AlfaOwner to allow me to post a pinned thread on this as so many people are affected and it is so easy to solve!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
On my 156, it was always down to a sensor in the nearside rear wheel arch. Was replaced twice :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
alfa_147_jtd_16v said:
Honestly...I can guarentee you that the problem is down to the battery NOT any of wheel steering or yaw sensors.

Yup. Battery would be the first thing to check. ;)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If it was the battery wouldn't the issue go away once the car had started? (Rather than staying persistantly on your console)

At least when I had a slightly slipping alternator belt I got the ABS failure message once in cold wet weather - this immediately went away once the engine had started fully.

I also had the message relating to a genuine ABS disabled failure, but in my case it was due to a wheel speed sensor being out of action. The message stayed persistantly until the issue was fixed.
The mechanic told me he had accidentally touched it with a magnet when picking up shards of a shattered bolt that occured when changing CV joints! :lol:

He did tell me this before taking delivery of the car :)

Cheers,
TB

A

·
0 Posts
The reason why in many cases it's the battery, is because it's what solely supplies the entire electronics of the vehicle - even when the engine is on. The alternator varies it's output as engine revs change/aircon kicks in - the job of the alternator is to charge the battery only. The battery is there to supply a constant stablised current.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I forgot to add that when i turned the engine off and back on again, the problem did not reappear.

I think i'll wait for problem to occur again before contacting the dealer.... Hopefully it doesn't.

Thanx all for the replies!

A

·
0 Posts
Rab88 said:
Sorry. I forgot to add that when i turned the engine off and back on again, the problem did not reappear.

I think i'll wait for problem to occur again before contacting the dealer.... Hopefully it doesn't.

Yes, the same thing happened to me and many other 147 owners and yes, it will happen again rest assured;)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Rightio, defintely sounds like the battery as alfa_147_jtd_16v said.

Cheers,
TB

Rab88 said:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Rab88 - if you are relying on the dealer in Glasgow, youre onto plums, try somewhere else.

I can check your battery voltage for you if youre in Glasgow if you dont have a meter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cj romeo said:
Rab88 - if you are relying on the dealer in Glasgow, youre onto plums, try somewhere else.

I can check your battery voltage for you if youre in Glasgow if you dont have a meter.
Yea, i know the dealers in Glasgow are a nightmare. I've been using the Parks East Kilbride dealer recently... they're also a nightmare.

I've got two mates who are electricians, so i'll get a multimeter off them and see what the voltage is sitting at.

I assume if theres a problem with the battery, it will be replaced under warranty?

Rab

A

·
0 Posts
Rab88 said:
I've got two mates who are electricians, so i'll get a multimeter off them and see what the voltage is sitting at.

I assume if theres a problem with the battery, it will be replaced under warranty?

Rab

A multimeter is no good as it will always show circa 12v. What you need is what the ppl at ATS etc use which is a device that has a dirty great big resistor in it that loads the battery (effectivly shorting it for a small amount of time). They punch in the cca value and it calculates the power of the battery in % - as a guide mine was just 60%.

The thing is a very much doubt a dealer will change a battery for you under warranty as unless there is something severly wrong with it, you will have to fork out for it yourself.

I only wishes I had done change mine even when it was under warranty...it would have stopped me putting up with the errors for so long!

·
Registered
10 Posts
See my thread "VDC Warning On" in GT section. Sorry I don't know how to link you to it. It has solved my GT VDC problem.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
alfa_147_jtd_16v said:
A multimeter is no good as it will always show circa 12v. What you need is what the ppl at ATS etc use which is a device that has a dirty great big resistor in it that loads the battery (effectivly shorting it for a small amount of time)
You can do it with a multimeter - it should read 12.6 volts minimum at full charge (its 13 plus after charging) and about 11.8 when cranking the engine. Anything less and you may have a problem down stream.

The drop test that the tyre places do can actually damage the battery, there are better more gentle tests such as cell conductance testers made by midtronics, but the kit is expensive. It measures the available plate area which determines how much of the cell is available to use and still active. It even works on flat batteries so can tell you whether or not its worth recharging.

No fires, bangs or explosions either like some drop testers.....

Best to use an analogue multimeter rather than a digital one if thats all you have as it puts a bigger load on the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts