Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they really that quick?!?!? :confused:

AFAIK the 2006 1.9 CDTi (red badge) Vectra has 150bhp....even with a remap/chip it could have ~190bhp....

So why the **** did it take me an age to reel him in this morning on a blast over Woodhead Pass?!?! :rant:

I had the hammer down seriously on a thankfully empty stretch at 6am and he managed to keep a seriously respectable distance between him and myself.

I should be able to out brake him, out accelerate him and generally do it with style...;) Maybe I was half asleep or perhaps he was right on the raggy egde in his (I was not BTW ;) ) but it got me thinking...

I eventually passed him on a ~mile straight but boy did it take some winding up.

He gave me a flash and a smile so I reakon he enjoyed the tussle... :)

Are they really that quick :confused:

:(

A

·
0 Posts
Isn't that an Alfa engine anyway in an 06 vectra CDTi.?. I could be wrong, but I thought it was. I think he'd have a weight advantage over a 159.

I had a Cavalier 2.5V6 in 1994, and a bloke in a 911 overtook me whilst I was dawdling along up hill and down dale. I couldn't catch him, but he couldn't get away either as the traction control on the Cav, just meant you floored it in any gear, and got traction, whereas the 911 was struggling to get the power down over Norwood Edge near Otley...definitely a Yee Haa moment for rep-man, as I was in those days:D :D

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
He could have had more than just a remap though eh :confused:

Isn't there a garage that does a package for the Astra CDTi that makes it fairly rapid :confused:

I know places like Allard for example can get silly BHP figures out of the 1.9 VAG TDi engine !! :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
There can't be many left on the forum that haven't been unpleasantly surprised by the performance of someones modern diesel whilst driving their petrol cars. Hope this doesn't re ignite the debate but we have been told often enough to get out there and try one before we knock it. Even the 90 and 115 ps fords feel like cars with twice the power.
Writing this for me is eating a big piece of humble pie, I was one of the worst offenders for diesel knocking, untill I actually did go out and try a few.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well my brother's wife had the Astra cdti 150bhp put a tuning box on and it went to 198 bhp 300 torque there quick,plus is vectra went to 230bhp to 350 torque 3.0 cdti.
I think deisel's are just going to get better, twin turbo's will be quite popular i think vauxhall are doing them, all so audi on there 3.0 which as been out quite a while .
But even though the astra was quick for a deisel it did not better the astra vxr they bought then remapped,it's a shame deisel's carn't get some more power up the rev range so you can rev them a bit more,
but it's all about torque i suppose, i like deisel's even though i have never owned one.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Diesels are great, especially if you do huge mileage, but you'll get bored of them as has happened to me.

I drove (still got it - for sale soon) an S40 1.9D which I had remapped from 120bhp to 156bhp. It went really well and still gave me 40-odd mpg, pushing 55 when on a run, but I missed being able to use the full rev range.
The power drop-off after 4000 was huge and I found myself wanting for more.

I've now got an S40 T4, 200bhp (before remap ;)) and a lighter engine. It's a hell of a lot more fun to drive and the trip computer still reads out at least 40mpg on the motorway.

It made me wonder if an automatic diesel is the better solution as the engine knows when the power is gone and will change gear to suit. All the gear-changing and keeping the engine in the power range is hard work. It's rewarding admittedly, but it's not easy.

PS - anyone want to buy a 2003 S40 D? ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I posted an almost identical rant last week, I nearly got dusted by a diesel Astra and I was flat out. Most upsetting! I've come to the conclusion the 159 is a heavy car and as such takes a bit to get going. I've had mine remapped for a second time because of a new software build put on by my dealer. The new map has less of a thump in the back but builds power progressively, this lets me floor it off roundabouts which I couldn't do with the old one. I had a nice tussel with a 3.0 GTV this evening and kept up fine, so the lesson must be "if you want to go really fast buy a diesel Vauxhall"
http://www.topgear.co.uk/news/2006/02/23/vauxhall-astra-triple-eight/
nuff said!

·
Registered
471 Posts
It made me wonder if an automatic diesel is the better solution as the engine knows when the power is gone and will change gear to suit. All the gear-changing and keeping the engine in the power range is hard work.

;)
I will let you know in May as I am changing to the VAG 170bhp diesel with the DSG semi auto box. EVO are not too impressed with the Leon they have on long term test with this set up though...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Diesels are great, especially if you do huge mileage, but you'll get bored of them as has happened to me.

I drove (still got it - for sale soon) an S40 1.9D which I had remapped from 120bhp to 156bhp. It went really well and still gave me 40-odd mpg, pushing 55 when on a run, but I missed being able to use the full rev range.
The power drop-off after 4000 was huge and I found myself wanting for more.

I've now got an S40 T4, 200bhp (before remap ;)) and a lighter engine. It's a hell of a lot more fun to drive and the trip computer still reads out at least 40mpg on the motorway.

It made me wonder if an automatic diesel is the better solution as the engine knows when the power is gone and will change gear to suit. All the gear-changing and keeping the engine in the power range is hard work. It's rewarding admittedly, but it's not easy.

PS - anyone want to buy a 2003 S40 D? ;)
Although it can't compare to a good petrol,the 16v jtd's not too bad, it does rev quite freely,mine more so with a tuning box-the 6 speed box does keep the ratios close lower down though.I find its easier to drive quickly than petrol,with a wide torque band. Cheers Steve

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Although it can't compare to a good petrol,the 16v jtd's not too bad, it does rev quite freely,mine more so with a tuning box-the 6 speed box does keep the ratios close lower down though.I find its easier to drive quickly than petrol,with a wide torque band. Cheers Steve
Oh yeah, dont get me wrong - diesel engines are great to drive. It's just the style of my driving didn't suit it and I was always left wanting more.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh yeah, dont get me wrong - diesel engines are great to drive. It's just the style of my driving didn't suit it and I was always left wanting more.

:)
Know what you mean-a good petrol takes off in its power band-diesels do'nt have one! cheers steve

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The real problem lies elsewhere than the diesel vs. petrol debate though IMO.

Modern cars are all (pretty much) capable of speeds, even around bends, that are way beyond what is legal and often sensible or even sane.

The limiting factor is less the power of the car, or even its suspension, but the driver's ability AND (in)sanity. For this reason we all have experiences where the (on paper) more powerful car is 'beaten', or 'surprised' by a lowly mid range saloon /SUV/MPV.

Hunter's experience just underlines this IMO, he was faster than the 'less powerful' car, but not by as much as he would have expected based on paper numbers.

My brother-in-law was suprised to have a lady in a Megane Scenic keep up with him down a B-road while driving his 911 turbo. Was the Scenic tuned beyond recognition? No, the two drivers just had different mind sets. ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Isn't that an Alfa engine anyway in an 06 vectra CDTi.?. I could be wrong, but I thought it was. I think he'd have a weight advantage over a 159.
It is the same Fiat engine, yes, however, Vauxhall's all use Quaiffe gearboxes, they're by no means as smooth, or as good a feel, as the alfa 'boxes but the ratios are far superior....plus the Vectra is lighter than the 159, and cheaper, and more economical, and more reliable!! In fact, apart from looks, it's a much better car......A ban worthy comment I'm sure but an honest one nonetheless.........:p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts