Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from a reliable source that GM is planning to scrap the Alfa V6 and replace it with their own lame attempt of an engine in the near future. What do you think of this travesty!!!?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, not GM. But nontheless you're right, because Fiat and GM are in collusion (for want of a better word) the next Alfa V6 will be GM sourced.

Below I've typed out a short article from the AROC Magazine:

Peter Dron, writing in the Daily Telegraph confirms the oft repeated rumour that Alfa's magnificent V6 has, after 22 years, reached the end of its development. With the ever changing emissions regulations the life cycle of an engine is quickly reduced. He also confirms that Fiat are unable to justify the cost of investing in a relatively low volume dedicated Alfa V6 engine. So a GM V6 it will be, originating from Holden in Australia. Our version will no doubt have red Alfa Romeo script embossed on the cam covers and a certain reworking of some of the internal components and the engine managment system.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a travesty. Everyone knows that Alfa makes the best engines in the world and the loss of a true Italian V6 will be most sad.

·
Registered
443 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.....!!!!
They can't do it! Alfa have had the best V6 for as long as i can remember!! and longer! the whole world knows that Alfa's V6 is better than anyother out there! they can't go and kill it off! when is this to happen? I'll have to go and buy a proper one asap! just so i can get one before they stop making em!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they do go ahead i will do my best to make sure everyone i know will boycott these bastards-or modern day Alfa Arna- if u want. i wont have one of these 'cars' if you gave me it free.

G

·
I know exactly what you mean Gary but do you really think that the 156 now would be that much different from one in the future with the GM based engine.

Personally, and it is a personal view they have made them as much like a BMW as their ever likely to be but still slightly different so that they appeal to the 'rep boys' who feel a bit more risque, hence the huge advertising campaign of late with the monthly lease plan figure making it just affordable.

Profit is the name of the game with Fiat and I feel the unique soul and character is sadly diminshing ever more by the next new model off the conveyor belt.

MAK

G

·
I think there are a few issues here:

1) Coming to terms with the loss of an absolutely delightful engine that knocks other sixes for er..., six. Few things in life are really special and so it's a shame to see this one go.

2) The realisation that this gem is to be replaced not by a pukka Alfa designed and developed engine, but by an engine from GM, the most soul-less automaker on the planet. I find this deeply insulting. You take away my jewel, and you replace it with crap.

3) The Alfa-worked GM unit will probably be a good effort, but this is the not the point. An Alfa engine is designed by a team whose priorities are: performance; drivability, torque, durability; smoothness; low stress; relative economy. GM motor designers' priorities are: cheap to design; cheap to build; cheap to run; durable; eco friendly. I sense a clash of priorities here, which will lead to a dilution of what makes Alfa V6 so good.

We can't holt progress, nor am I suggesting that we do, but pray tell me; in this instance, how is the new unit going to better than the old one? What's in it for Alfa owners who love and adore the V6? The answer? Zip.

If we feel a strong affection for this engine, it's because it's often been a strength that's seen us through the dark days. Let's be honest, some V6 Alfa cars have been poor, but redeemed by the V6, a shining light for us and a consistent signal to the world from a sometimes weak Alfa that it can still create an absolute belter of an engine. For that alone, the heroic, masterly V6, deserves a worthy successor, not a botch job that insults both us and the engine it replaces.

Ok, I'm gonna wipe the tears away now - they're blurring the view of my GTV6...

g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts