Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of a moan than a rant but I had a (pretty lighthearted) look at getting the GTV converted to LPG. I do a fair mileage over a year and had no idea how much it would cost. I also pass a garage on my drive into work selling LPG at 43p a litre. I also had a notion in the far recess of my mind that there may be some sort of grant available to do the conversion. I emailed a couple of companies and got a couple of quotes back. I was not too surprised to find that no grants were available but I was quite shocked that the government charge VAT on the kit and the labour. I was under the impression that in this current climate of 'green is good' there would be zero VAT on kit like this. With a litre of petrol being made up of about 60% duty it's a pretty good money spinner & is not exactly an incentive to encourage people to consider alternatives ............ or maybe I just an old sceptic??

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was sure you could get a grant for this too.Trouble is if everyone changed the Govt would up the tax on LPG to ensure they collect the same amount of revenue.Remember when diesel used to be a lot cheaper than petrol?Same thing happened there.The present govt doesn't give a damn about the environment,just wants to tax everything to the hilt!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
You can now produce 2,500 litres of bio fuel (chip fat) at home a year to run a diesel and not pay a penny in tax. Collect used chip fat from the local takeaway, maybe give them 10p a litre (waste price).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh we all know the government won't ever part with their money, even to help the environment. They just use it to build houses for all the fecking immigrants!

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Yes.. LPG has (had?) a grant available but only on new cars..

It wasn't an unlimited thing.. there were just a set number available and they ran out in 10 minutes flat, as each new year started.

LPG duty is frozen until the end of 2008 I think.. so if you do about 25,000 miles next year you'll break even on a typical conversion (£1800).

Ralf S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts