Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 145 QV phase 2 with a supposedly new variator 5K mles ago. It rattles (variator) on startup and doesnt seem to have the surge of power at 4200 rpm ( every now and again it will but only once or twice then it dissapears again) I have disconnected the solenoid and it made no difference. The voltage readings on the silver solenoid plates are 0v at idle and 13.5 at about 3000 rpm. The voltage at the plug fluctuates wildly between 7 and 13.5 volts. Anyone any ideas on the readings or the behavoir in general. also how to determine if its the solenoid or variator

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
You're best posting to the 145/146 lounge, but the variator will rattle for the first 3 or so seconds at startup and after that should quieten down.
Are you talking about the solenoid in the intake manifold that changes the air path at x RPM? (Can't remember the name of the device...)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, its the variator sioleniod between no 1 and 2 cylinders under the plastic cover

C

·
0 Posts
I think I'm having the same trouble with my 145qv, Its not rattling on start up but doesfeel like its missing out on variator assistance at high revs quite often. Think it might be a problem with the wiring to the solenoid on mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wonder if it would be safe to put 12v and an earth directly on the solenoid to see if it at least has an effect, meaning the solenoid works and its the variator at fault

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It's supposed to run a little rough at lower rev's if that's done, but would be a valid way of testing it I presume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts