Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1,7 8v and its suffers from bad idlle most of time,...I tryed everything no cure..take out variator and noticed that metal piston inside are not closing compleately, its like 1,5 , 2mm open and its oil dirty...can that ceose problem...anyone...marlon?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The variator doesn't affect the idle on the 8v engine (works differently to that of the 16v). The thing you've called the variator is actually the magnetic actuator. The variator is attached to the end of the inlet cam. If you think this is the problem, make sure the inside is clean and then put in a couple of drops of engine oil. Make sure the pin moves freely. It is unlikely that the length of travel has changed on this though.

I take it you've cleaned the air bypass valve. This is attached to the side of the intake manifold. Think it's held on with an Allen bolt and then pull it out. You will see a sliding mechanism in a "window". Make sure this is clean and moves freely. Also make sure you have no splits in the hose from this part to the main hose of the intake system. Also make sure the butterfly in the throttle housing is clean. This gets bunged with oil due to the crankcase ventilation system. Let us know how you get on.

Marlon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts