Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
155 2.0 16V Sport, 1997. Two years ago I replaced the variator of variable valve timing - in the engine (at valve shafts) at the official AR service. Before the replacement the engine worked like a tractor or diesel engine or fast running clock (tic, tic, tic...) Now after two years I notice a subtle "tractor working" again. And I think it is getting louder every day. The replacement of this part costed me very much money. Do you know whether there are "updated" versions of this variator, which will not fail after next two years? Or do you have any recommendations in this topic? As I saw then at AR service, the replacement of this variator was a hard work and to do this - a special service part was needed (which keeps the valve shafts in place while variator replacemt). And something like a "pressure counter" was in the engine installed during the replacement. But I have also heard, that this replacement is not difficult!?. Have you ever replaced this part on your own? I ask for this, because I would like to know whether I have to pay much money for AR official service again. Otherwise I could make it at a cheaper service.

I would be very thankful for help.
Mlody

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all!

I would just like to know how to tell if my variator is ok! Can anybody tell me? I have a 93 2.0l 8v. Do they have an expected life span? This is the electric control valve I'm talking about.

Thanks
Oliver :p

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem variator syndrome only occurs on 16V cars so dont think you need to worry :)

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having my Variator replaced next week. My car's done 45K miles and is definately sounding diesely. According to my friendly mechanic the revised ones should last at least 60K miles.
So ensure that the revised (white) variator is fitted and not one of the original gray/black ones.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Steve P - that's the cam belt tensioner that you're talking about. The older (non-white) one's fail, causing the top end to crash.

However, I've read somewhere previously that some models of variator can be stripped and rebuilt. Don't know how true that is though. Mlody - hope that's the case with yours!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you can get a variator repair kit for the 155. My main agents (Alfissimo) suggest putting the kit in when doing the cambelt/tensioner service every 60000 km, so as to avoid doing it in between services. They reckon it lasts well.

Kind regards
Jacques

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi everyone you can get a new uprated spring and washer i think its teflon for inside variator but as mentioned only for some there is info i think on the afore mentioned site about some having a bue or a white dot on the end of the variator this deciding which one can be done but on the diy side of things i wouldnt advise doing this job whithout the use of locking caps for your cams these hold the cams in the right place as there are no markings uprated cams have a slot in the back of them so you can lay a slip of sheet metal in the back of them to hld them in position the caps are available from a company called eastern tools for£56.50plus vat but mention car mechanics magazine and recieve a nice 20% discount let us know how you get on as i am also getting the old deisel sound again beware that some dealers are still selling the old version of the variator whithout knowing there is a new one or about the repair kit (spring and washer) hpoe this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mlody,

In regard to making it a cheaper service have you considered buying a variator in the UK and having it shipped over? I know www.ebspares.co.uk help obviously depending on the cost difference of course but there is no reason why your Alfa dealer can't just fit it, you don't have to buy from them as part of the job if it is very expensive as a part in Poland!

Just a thought

MAK

164 SUPER

(Guest at 155)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for pointing that out rich, anyone tell i'm not a mechanic ? :D :confused: :D

Still, looking forward to having a nice quiet car next week once both the cam variator AND tensioner wheel are replaced :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a 164ts with the old chain driven cams and the variator was making an awfull noise i took it off striped it down and cleaned it all up put it back on and its been fine ever since(3000 miles ago).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts