Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kits have been appearing which allow variators to be 'reconditioned' to (hopefully) eliminate the 'death rattle' on start up. These appear to be official Alfa Romeo items and rumour has it they were supplied to dealers to deal with complaints under guarantee! Please could someone advise how to change the parts over and how much of a problem this is.........detailed d.i.y. instructions would be more than welcome. Thank you.:cry::D

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have two variators in the garage that I've stripped out of curiosity and they're not difficult to take apart. Decent pair of circlip pliers and a vice for holding it all together. Just take pictures as you go of everything, they're a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
As above, easy to do but a new variator is only around the £100 mark and presumably has some sort of guarantee?

It's a pain of a job as it is.....trying to save a few quid by lobbing some new seals and a spring into a possibly knackered casing seems a bit futile?

G

·
0 Posts
Am I right in thinking that part of the problem with variator s is the gears in the bottom of the housing wear out as well

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Basically yes. Oil becomes sludge and stops it doing its job. The splines then wear out over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts