Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having trouble the last while with my 147 - she won't go over 3000rpm alot of the time now.

Sometimes shes fine and then when the engine light is on, shes slow to start (but always does, touch wood) and is restricted.

I've had it diag'd as code P340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Malfunction.

-So speaking to the mechanic he says it could be down to the Variator being worn out leading to a follow on error with the Camshaft Position(Phase) Sensor. Do ye reckon thats possible?

-I've read here that the Variator never fails as such just gets worn causing increased oil & fuel consumption. Mechanic is of the opinion that it can seize up causing further problems?

-I know that you have to redo the Cam-belt to change the variator & from searching around here the same seems to go for the Phase Sensor. Would I be correct in that?

-And finally (I promise!) if I'm getting the Cam-belt done again (got it done last summer & in my innocence/stupidity didn't get the variator done) can I just get away with getting new belts rather than a whole new tensioner kit put on?

Appreciate if anyone can put these questions to bed for me as it seems like there'll be a wedge of cash to shell out :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the swift reply JJB.

So do you reckon I should get the Phase Sensor changed (leave the variator for a while) or more to the point can I get it changed without getting the cam-belt redone?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
Cheers for the swift reply JJB.

So do you reckon I should get the Phase Sensor changed (leave the variator for a while) or more to the point can I get it changed without getting the cam-belt redone?
To get the phase sensor replaced you need the timing belt, and water pump removed as the wiring for the Phase sensor runs behind the waterpump casing. While its all in bits would replace the variator, waterpump, phase sensor, and timing belt kit.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah bugger.....but cheers again JJB!

Its a bit of a kick in the pants because I'd got the belt & water-pump done 6000 miles early during last summer after reading some of the belt snapping horror stories. Ah well the Phase Sensor could have gone any time & I'd have had to get the belt done. Live & learn and all that!

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
Ah bugger.....but cheers again JJB!

Its a bit of a kick in the pants because I'd got the belt & water-pump done 6000 miles early during last summer after reading some of the belt snapping horror stories. Ah well the Phase Sensor could have gone any time & I'd have had to get the belt done. Live & learn and all that!
If water pump was changed 6K ago it will be fine to be re fitted:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
It's possible that when the belts were changed, the sensor ring at the back of the exhaust cam sprocket was bent slightly, causing it to rub on the sensor and ultimately make it fail.

During the sensor replacement, have the old one and the ring checked for signs of collision between the two and replace the sprocket if in any doubt.

Otherwise you'll end up with the same problem in a few miles...

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your timing belt has most probably jumped a tooth or two. That's why you are getting the camshaft sensor fault. Don't restart the engine before you verify your valve timing!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's possible that when the belts were changed, the sensor ring at the back of the exhaust cam sprocket was bent slightly, causing it to rub on the sensor and ultimately make it fail.

During the sensor replacement, have the old one and the ring checked for signs of collision between the two and replace the sprocket if in any doubt.

Otherwise you'll end up with the same problem in a few miles...

Cheers,

Iain
Thanks Iain, will make sure thats checked out. Just having a look at my service record - I had the belt changed on 20/June/08 and then had to get the Crank Sensor changed on 23/July/08 but the Phase Sensor malfunction code P0340 also came up on the diag at the time - so reckon you might be onto something.

Your timing belt has most probably jumped a tooth or two. That's why you are getting the camshaft sensor fault. Don't restart the engine before you verify your valve timing!
Now you're scaring me!...but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i'll happily drive to Drogheda to check your car's timing & change sensor if required.

I spent a while there fixing a Blue Selespeed, with a Zender body kit on it, you might see it on the roads arounf drogheda.

PM me if you wish to arrange a time to suit us both :)

thanks for the referral Iain, pat.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts