Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I know if the variator needs replacing? I have a 156 Sw 1.6 TS and it doesnt sound right. Do they make the same noise as the 2.0 when you give it some stick? Also have a 147 2.0 that sounds gorgeous when you floor it. Could this be a fault on the 156?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Does it sound like a Diesel noise?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Does your 1.6 have a variator? Some don't.

L

·
0 Posts
all 156's have variators, its the 147 that may not have them. if it sounds like a diesel all the time or tappety it could be avery badly worn variator. otherwise it could be more serious, try pulling the dipstick & checking the oil for metal filings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 1.6 147 had a new variator put in as when i started it it sounded like a diesel for a couple of seconds. its not cheap though...

L

·
0 Posts
if you are fitting a new variator it'll also need new timing belt kit + water pump

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there wasn't any oil in it when I checked after picking it up. I bought it blind, silly I know but it was very cheap. Now has oil in but still doesn't sound as good as the 147. It did sound noisy when I picked it up but since putting oil in it has gone a bit more quite. Got loads of service history but cant see variator change on it. It has 115K miles. Timing belt was done last year.

L

·
0 Posts
when you say there was no oil in it, do you mean there was none showing on the dipstick or that the sump was almost dry? How much oil did you add? From MIN to MAX, on the dipstick is ONE litre. even then there is upto 3.5 litres below the MIN level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts