Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of posts about the VVT and variator etc. I know this is part of the 16 valve engines, BUT, do the 8 valve engines have VVT ???
From what I gather, they don't !!!

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Marlon

From what I know (not a lot!) its only the 16 valvers that have variable valve timing but think its different to the Honda set up.......is this correct?

wrinx

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Hi Marlon ,if you look at the front of the engine there is a timing variator if that is the thing you mean then yes they do have it,8v 75`s had it as well,it is a barrel shape device with two wires on it.Alfapat

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers pat, i'll have a look for it. Maybe it isn't working properly as my car has a terrible flat spot at low revs, then flies from 3500rpm.

Marlon

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
hi marlon the cam variator is on the end of the camshaft and can be seen only when you take the rocker cover off the post before i think is relating to the variable valve timming solonoid this is what i have on my 16 valve, its just at the back of engine and have read on net to try melting the solder on the top (2 round bits ) and then you can remove the screws and clean contacs inside but itried this and it did nothing for me hope this helps rather than confuse fletch.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fletch

I've started using Super Unleaded petrol and that seems to have helped the flat spot problem a lot. Checked the spark plugs tonight and found the cables had splits/melts etc. Need replaced. Incidently, all the plugs were the same size. I thought one set was smaller than the other ???
They are NGK 3 prong doodas and look in good nick (at least I know the engine and fueling are fine)

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
I should check your plugs again. 1 set is definitely smaller(thinner) on my 2.0 16v

M :confused: ike

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should definately have two sizes of plugs?

10mm and about 14mm(?)

Perhaps its a cut'n'shut engine with identical halves wink

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Marlon

Just realised, yours is an 8v, are the plugs all the same on them?? Dunno, as Mike sez, my old twinny 16v had two different sized plugs.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Wrinx
Yeah, I have an 8 valve and all the plugs are the same size and grade.

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That means my plug replacement costs won't be as much as you 16 valve guys :D
My plugs are standard things.

Great
Marlon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts