Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just did a 300 mile round trip in my Super after driving around California for the past 5 weeks, and absolutly loved it.

American cars are so horrid, even the Japanese ones that they make for the market. I wonder if any average Joe had a go in an Alfa he would probably never be able to drive anything else again!!

Anyway, I noticed that the old girl wonders a bit when driving straight along the motorway, and I was wondering if this is a common problem?

I've heard many people talking about how the suspension arms need replacing fairly often. Would this cure the problem, as it doesn't seem to be play in the steering.

Also, the rear offside brake is squealing. Any offers as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance,

AndyC.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sounds like the steering issue could be lower wishbone ball joints that are worn out. Best to get it checked out with someone who knows what to look for who can use a pry-bar to move things about and have a look.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello all.

I just did a 300 mile round trip in my Super after driving around California for the past 5 weeks, and absolutly loved it.

American cars are so horrid, even the Japanese ones that they make for the market. I wonder if any average Joe had a go in an Alfa he would probably never be able to drive anything else again!!

Anyway, I noticed that the old girl wonders a bit when driving straight along the motorway, and I was wondering if this is a common problem?

I've heard many people talking about how the suspension arms need replacing fairly often. Would this cure the problem, as it doesn't seem to be play in the steering.

Also, the rear offside brake is squealing. Any offers as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance,

AndyC.
the average joe would soon realize that the alfa has no real torque, and not much power, and is too expensive to repair and too much to repair to make it worth keeping just for the nice interior, sound of the engine and handling, which is good when the car is new. i would check the allignment and the bushings first. then i would go and hire a medium spec cadillac cts and compare .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't need to rent one as I almost bought a CTS when our Lancia Thema 8:32 was written off a couple of years ago.

Wasn't nearly as nice as the Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 V8 BiTurbo that we ended up getting instead for less money!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE American cars. I lived in the States last year and have just returned from a job working in Cali building a Land Speed Record bike, and then running it in Bonneville at the Salt Flats. They do have great torque, amazing exhaust notes and tunability; but to be honest even Cadillacs have poor build quality and lack longevity.

Plastic Fantastic is still the American way.

Also, they don't seem to be able to move away from the 'no replacement for displacement' area either. Our Quattroporte with a stainless steel exhaust including racing Cats makes 403hp at the crank from 3.2 litres and two turbochargers. The Corvette makes approximatly the same horsepower by way of a 7 litre engine which still uses pushrods to actuate the valves!!!!

At least they're getting better these days, but they will never be able to match the passion that Italians put into their cars, and the personalities that the cars have as a result.

Thanks for all the help on my vague steering issue. I had guessed that it was a lower arm issue. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I don't need to rent one as I almost bought a CTS when our Lancia Thema 8:32 was written off a couple of years ago.

Wasn't nearly as nice as the Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 V8 BiTurbo that we ended up getting instead for less money!!!
That is a very cool car history! :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
..400hp aside, how does the masser compare with the big alfas? i've never even sat in one, but i always thought the quattroporte IV was the only logical way to go after a 164... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts