Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am after the Vagcom knowledge reason being a, check on all the codes listed in my 147 also to run on my VW Transporter. Forgive my ignorance but a named VAG I assume its software developed for the VW/Audi group that is also used on Alfa's well I suppose ant OBD plug? I have looked at the Ross-tec site but not priced anything (looks pricey) and then Ebay £15 mmm?

Can somone let me know where to get the software from and the lead - I assume that so long as I have a laptop running windows thats it?

We programm machines and run diags so I don't suppose it can be any different?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, there are 3 concepts

1) Plug type: OBD is widely used on most cars
2) Interface type: k-Line is used on most fiat-group and VW equipment (incl alfa). Recently ELM interface is popular. Many modules support many different interfaces.
3) Software: Some software is universal and not very helpful. AlfaDiag, FiatECUScan is used on ..well you can guess.. and VAGCOM used on VW-group.

For ~98-2005 vehicles surely the K-Line OBD cable seems like the most versatile cable to buy. This site lists all modules and compatibility as well as adapters/mods to connect to special modules (for Fiat). FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner

If you know another site made like this for BMW/VW please share.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bugger I was looking to buy one bit of kit and use it for both motors but that I suppose would be to good to be true.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well basically the common KKL (I called k-line but that might be wrong) is used on most Vag-group and fiat-group. Old units use some kind of mapping module separate (looks like what they use for mobile phones and bmw) but new units are more compact, direct OBD to usb. It is advertised as "VAGCOM" but that is the software not hardware. Different layers but it works. Check what modules are in your vehicle and what interface they interact with!

PS: I'm 99.8% sure the same interface is used for Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen, Volvo, Triumph, Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Fiat from roughly 1998-2005. Anyone else got info pls share; The cables sold as VAG-COM is quite confusing. There are various versions of KKL I bet but I'm sure the new versions are backwards compatible.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
hardware (connector) and software (VAGCOM 409.1 for instance) are separate animals, every car maker uses different software, specific for cars in their group i.e. fiat,lancia,alfa, innocenti etc and Audi, VW in the VAG group.
But the confusion never ends because some car makers use 19 pins connectors or 27 pins connectors, for cars of the Fiat group the 16 pin OBDII connector is used, its the most widely used in the auto industry , if you buy a KKL 16pin lead (double K line) you can talk to the ECU in your Alfa. Software like Alfadiag or Fiatecuscan is sufficient for most tinkerers. To get access to the ABS and Airbag EC's you need modification of the standard
KKL lead because it is not allowed for laymen to access those systems (for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
9 Posts
To get access to the ABS and Airbag EC's you need modification of the standard
KKL lead because it is not allowed for laymen to access those systems (for obvious reasons)
Sorry for the bump but what exactly has to be modified on the KKL lead to gain access to those modules?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your profile says you have a 159.

On a 159 you need an ELM cable for most stuff.
Thanks for the reply but if I didn't, would you happen have a link or short description on how one would "modify" the 16 pin KKL cable? I read something about converting it into a 14 pin connection somehow instead? :confused:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Thanks for the reply but if I didn't, would you happen have a link or short description on how one would "modify" the 16 pin KKL cable? I read something about converting it into a 14 pin connection somehow instead? :confused:
What car have you got?
What do you want to connect to?
Have you looked at the link I posted above...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I did, but why is any of that relevant? All I was asking for a link (regardless of all that) describing the "modding" process. If you have one and would be kind enough to link it for us here and other future people because I found this thread through Google, it would appreciated.

If not nevermind, I'll find it myself.

UPDATE: For anyone else interested (regardless of their make/model/etc) I found THIS...Not sure which platforms it is applicable for if any, but I'll let you figuire that out for yourselves.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
There is no "14-pin connection", I've no idea where you got that info from.

ALL the information you need is on the link I posted.
No need to go storming off in a hump... :rolleyes: sometimes I wonder why I bother...!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
You need a connection to the K line pin and the ABS and Airbag pin......
I have a modified and tested cable for you, email me for details

1 - 14 of 14 Posts