Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a mscf come on and now have very rough idle and feels like no performance at all. Came on while accelerating in 5th and then really struggled to build speed. Disconnected MAF and went for a spin and above 2-3000 rpm it seems fine so I am guessing at MAF... But from what I read the mscf wouldn't be on, and it is on constantly flashing and on startup after a few seconds it starts flashing. I have a vag com cable from eBay but I can't get it working. I don't seem to be able to get the latency option screen from advanced settings and in FES the test just times out straight away. The cable was a cheap one from eBay, winchiphead or something and comes up as a CH340.

I want to read the codes before I spend £100+ on a new bosh MAF to try to pin point the issue.

Any advice appreciated with possible causes of mscf and poor idle/performance and my com port issues with the cable... Perhaps I should just buy a new one tried and tested from rare bear ?

Cheers all and happy NYE

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have tried that before but when I looked into it the cable I have, cheap eBay, doesn't use FTDI chip, it's uses cheap alternative winchiphead. I wonder if that's the problem and perhaps I should pay a bit more with rare bear as then I know it's tested.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I have cheap eBay cable, £6 I think it was, uses the drivers from my link no problem at all.
Never opened it up to see what is inside it, but it will be a cheap one from China...!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried em and it briefly pops up in devices with a yellow a asterix and then disappears. Doesn't seem to like them, will try again tomorrow as getting grief from the missus now as we have people round for NYE.... Cheers for the advice David C, as always, I'll report back tomorrow probably with a fuzzy head.

Cheers

·
Registered
658 Posts
You have to use comm 1 dont use any other comm, if your printer or something else is connected you have to change them over. Must be Comm 1 i noticed you have comm 5

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The screen shot is from the FES manual and is the settings screen I do not have/cannot get. Tried the ftdi driver but as soon as I plug the cable back in it uses the ones that came with it... Wch.cn. Also changed it to be com1 but still no joy, FES doesn't find it as an interface when scanning. I also got an IT guy at work to look at it for me a while back and he had no joy either...

I have read that the cheap cables can be hit and miss so perhaps this is a miss. I'll spend on another and see if that helps.

Cheers
Alli

P.S. Do you guys have any thoughts on the diagnosis and if the mscf would come on for bad MAF.

S

·
0 Posts
The interface settings are available through the device manager. Find the connected interface and select advanced options. Then lower the baud rate numbers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am in there but I don't get that screen from advanced. Goes straight to the next screen in the manual with two sliders. I don't get the latency screen

·
Registered
54 Posts
A word of warning about Prolific and FTDI USB chips - there are plenty of fake/counterfeit parts in circulation of both types, and these don't always work properly/predictably. I have a client who built a batch of product recently (to my design) which didn't work on the USB port due to fake FTDI parts - replacing them with genuine parts fixed the problem.

Tim.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Tim, well it's says genuine so I'll give it a go. FES will recognize the interface but times out on the 2nd latency test and I don't get the option in device manager to change it...

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Have found som info and it does appear that the cable is the issue - great thread here

ECU Diagnostics (DIY) - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

looks like the chip it uses (not a ftdi chip) with the cable set up it uses some sort of bridge and then it doesnt give the options for latencythat are needed. Also the ftdi drivers wont work with this chip.

Lesson from this is check that the chip is ftdi as this specific cheap winchiphead cable is no good - so dont waste as much time as i have trying to get it to work.
Have got another cable ordered so hopefully that wil be plain sailing.

cheers
Alli

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New cable has arrived and works a treat. Would advise anyone buying a cable to simple read/clear fault codes to buy one that states FTDI chip, could save yourself the hours I wasted.

Thanks for all the advice. Just gotta find the problem now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts