Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After last nights 7 hour stay on Telegraph Hill in snowdrifts (where the GTV actually did quite well!), today it has thrown a bit of a wobbler...

Today, driving along it flatly refused to rev above about 2400 rpm, as though it was hitting a rev limiter, in any gear. Does the V6 have a 'safe' mode? Whatever it was, I parked the car a couple of hours, started again and it was fine, slight hesitation at first but then pulling cleanly as normal.

Has anyone had this before? I don't know if it is just damp that's got in somewhere (very wet and slushy after we got going again, or whether the MAF has packed up or throttle body misbehaving. Hopefully it won't happen again but would be glad of any info.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
38,925 Posts
I would guess it is probably the MAF if the injector light didn't come on.

Throttle faults almost always illuminate the injector warning and make the throttle have a very delated action, plus it will rev fine after the delay.

HTH.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, though the last 3 journeys have been fine, so I don't think the MAF has failed. Would MAF failure not be just a major flatspot in the rev range rather than refusal to go over a certain speed?

It might have been just damp getting somewhere that it shouldn't be, from all the snow and slush that I drove through, as well as spending a couple of hours on tickover when we were stopped. Hopefully it was just having a 'moment' and won't do it again (famous last words....!).

·
Registered
38,925 Posts
You could try unplugging the MAF and seeing if it makes it any better.

Doing that will put the car in limp mode but it will make an improvement if the MAF is duff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, its been fine for a couple of weeks, then it did something similar this morning, running slightly lumpy up to 3000 rpm then refusing to rev any further. No warning lights. I stopped the car, restarted and it was fine again..... Could it be the crank/cam position sensor misreading/ packing up? I don't at the moment suspect the MAF as it is very intermittent when it does it, though if it does it again, Ill disconnect and see if it changes.

The two times it has happened it has been cold and damp, so I'll clean all the connections I can find at the weekend, and might have a go cleaning the MAF while I'm at it.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I wouldnt clean the MAF at this point as it can cause more problems than it fixes. When the MAF failed on my 156 V6 it was instant and no warning signs, one minute the car was reving normal and then the engine just cut out and wouldnt even restart.

Maybe also worth checking the connections on the throttle pedal are ok too assuming the GTV is similar to the 156 setup

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sounds like MAF failure from what you've described. They don't all fail the same way, and can often be intermittent. The fact that it seems worse when cold and damp could be moisture (condensation) on the MAF sensor, which would normally have little or no effect on a healthy MAF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts