Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am looking at a new set of rubber for my Spider and after looking at the options, thought I would ask for feedback from other owners as to what has worked well for them?
225 / 45 /17 size is what I need.

Initial thoughts were Hankook Ventus v12's as they get very good reviews and are good value.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 get great reviews as did the older Asy2. Always been a popular tyre range on the GTV/Spider.
225/45R17 91Y

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Another shout for GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric in 224/45R17. I only have experience with the "2" version, but apparently the updated "3" is just as good or better.

Very predictable and progressive handling - it never suddenly lets go - always gives ample warning that limits of grip are being approached. Very good handing and braking in the wet.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have previously had Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric, and Pirelli P Zero Nero both of which I rate highly. Goodyear a little more so as more progressive and wore better. Pirelli grip was mighty though.

After a few big bills on the V6 this year I opted for Uniroyal Rainsports to save a few pounds and because it rains so much anyway in the UK.

The Rainsports have a noticeably softer side-wall. The feel of which on the rear of the car is really communicative which I'm really enjoying. Not so keen on them on the front end as they seem to tramline and wander a lot more than the previously mentioned.

Grip is still good in the dry and wet grip is exceptional.

The Hankook Ventus V2's you mentioned I have on the rear of my Audi A2, They have done 23k and are starting to crack before the tread is worn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tyres

Another vote for the F1 Asymetric 3 fitted 4 to my gt last week replacing Dunlop sport max rt. Vast difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Clearly can't go wrong with Eagle F1s, always a firm favorite. I am now running Conti Sport Contact 5's as I got a cracking deal on them along with 4 wheel alignment. I cannot fault the tyres at all, quiet, comfy and great grip!

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
96 Posts
I am another fan of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 2. Used them on a variety of cars and in that size. Always found that they track well and give control wet or dry. I have Goodyears on my GTV.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Got the Goodyear eagle f1's on the 147 and I could recommend them. Next though I am going to try out the Michelin pilot sport 4's as they are supposed to be the best from what I've read.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
DO NOT buy Pirelli Dragon Sport.
On their web site they claim to be for sporty driving however they are not. I replaced a set of bald Pirelli Rossos with the Dragon Sport. The Pirelli Rossos being bald(no tread at all) (absolutely bloody smooth) handled and gripped better in the rain and dry than brand spanking new Pirelli Dragon Sport. I called Pirelli Australia and spoke to their engineers whom did not really care. Nor did the managers. Do not waste your money.

I am another fan of Goodyear Eagle. However i like the directional esgles.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Dragon Sport?

That sounds suspiciously like it was intended for the Chinese market. In which case, it'll obviously be substandard nonsense designed to cynically market at Chinese consumers who are new to owning cars.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I have Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45R17 on my spider.
They have a good grip in both dry and wet weather and they are the best tires I have ever had regrading noise

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Goodyear own the Dunlop brand so I doubt they'd let them make a better tyre. Same with Bridgestone owning firestone.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts