Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I might find new track rod ends for my early 916 V6 Spider - it's a 12 valve left hand drive made in late 1995 and put on the road in 1996 - friends at Alfashop in Norwich could not supply but gave me a couple of part numbers (the ends are not straight but have a kink in their shape) - Alfa codes given are 9947721 or 9950776. Can anyone spread a little light please?

Many thanks Chris Eyre

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Does anyone know where I might find new track rod ends for my early 916 V6 Spider - it's a 12 valve left hand drive made in late 1995 and put on the road in 1996 - friends at Alfashop in Norwich could not supply but gave me a couple of part numbers (the ends are not straight but have a kink in their shape) - Alfa codes given are 9947721 or 9950776. Can anyone spread a little light please?

Many thanks Chris Eyre
Not sure those numbers are right,, 9947721 seems to be the rack gaiter kit!

Are they the same as the fiat coupe 16v turbo ones on this page? (the 20v turbo ones are the same as the straight v6 alfa ones)
Fiat Coupe Steering & Suspension

A

·
0 Posts
shop 4 parts
buy parts by
alfaworkshop
ebspares
ebay
dealer

to name a few

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Ebspares dont sell them at all, asked about them for my ts!

Alfaworkshop do list them, but the v6 ones are the straight "un-handed" ones, as are the ones listed on shop4parts and buypartsby.

Ebay ones are likely to be extremely poor quality. (just wait til you see the arb droplinks I fitted 4 months ago :eek:)

A

·
0 Posts
I got some from buy parts by myself. Quality seems good been on twelve months with no problems so far

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your thoughts - turns out that even proper Alfa agents cannot find the part numbers, even when they were given the VIN number for the car and, they first supplied the wrong part for a larger diameter rack end bar and then when my local agent in SW France was given the rh track rod end to match, he then spent a lot of time on the phone with his vernier caliper in his hand tracking down the parts which turned out to be Fiat track ends made as OE by TRW - the FIAT/Alfa part numbers turned out to be 9947435 and 9947436: now comes the sting in the tail - the right hand TRE was available from Fiat on special order at an exaulted price of 90 euros but the entire Fiat empire had no stock of the left hand one - have fitted the rh one now and the car has gone throught the Controle Technique ok (French MOT) but then I decided that if one side was buggered, I had better replace the other so I contacted TRW in the UK who have the parts in stock (why not Fiat group in Italy?) but will not supply direct to the public!! TRW part numbers are JTE 750 and JTE 751 - very helpful people but another prob to solve now - found out from them that they supply the Alfashop in Norwich so have ordered through our friends Carl and Phil - funny really because it was the Alfashop who originally could not find the right Alfa part numbers and supplied the first set of wrong TR ends. So the saga is reaching its end after 6 weeks with the same parts suppliers - what a load of nonsence - my thought is that the very first V6 Spider had this rack fitted but Alfa soon realised that it was not strong enough so fitted the beefed up rack, rods and ends but no-one at Alfa seems to have registered that owners would still want to keep their ancient beasts on the road. Once again thanks for all you helpful thoughts!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had the same track rod ends as you on my car but I gave up on them not for that the rod ends were bad but the track rod it self did keep on to bend just behind the locknut after a while of driving not by some sort of shock but "normal" driving so I fitted the "newer" track rods with outer M14 thread and the straight track rod end and I have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks GTV-TB - so what you are saying is that the newer fatter track rods will fit straight onto my steering rack? Even after so a many years being an Alfista, I'm still leraning!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks GTV-TB - so what you are saying is that the newer fatter track rods will fit straight onto my steering rack? Even after so a many years being an Alfista, I'm still leraning!!
Yes, the inner fitting is the same (M14) for both track rods and the Spider 12V steering rack is the same as listed for the TB on eper so it should not differ between them, it's just the outer fitting on the track rod that are different M14 vs. M12.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts