Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !!!

I bought some Champion plugs for the Beastly V6 with the idea of saving some money by fitting things myself...

The front bank were ok , but one plug was stiff to remove... looking at the plugs that came out(lodge) the plug holes are getting oil in them, gasket weaping, and it looks like this oil is guming up the threads... moving on the the rear bank, the centre plug i carnt even get a plug spanner down it, and the right rear is stuck solid !!!, it move about a 1/4 of a turn then wont budge !

After spending £1200 on the 16 V with what started with a snapped plug, im really worried at this point...

How on earth can i free this plug off? is it better to have a cold engine, warm engine, Plus gas down the plug hole?

Is this common on V6 engines?, While the lodge plugs obviously produce more power ( They look good !!) the 4 champion plugs i managed to get into the engine made it tick over far better, so which is best and why ?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Would say get some Plus Gas or similar down the holes and let it soak in then work the plug out a bit and back in until it comes out

You will find that it does`nt matter what plug you fit if they are new they are always better than what came out

Saying that the lodge plugs are good and last longer than most are the Champion Platinum tipped ??? Just wondered as i`ve got some to go in mine

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the champion plugs look like normal ones, nothing special about them...

Looks like plus gas and a lot of worry ...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
And patience ............................

....................and maybe get a prayer mat and start getting religious wink :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
l'm not as brave as yourself ,l would bite the
bullet and get an alfa mechanic to do it.
when l had my V6 serviced he found the seals
under the cam covers had perished and l would
have had oily plugs as well. they didn't take
long to change.how much would a mechanic charge
for an hours work? unless the plug snaps!!!
hope you sort it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thats the problem, the plug holes have oil in them.. i think this has been slowly going through the plug threads and baking... so the plugs that have come out have this oily black varnish around the threads... so i need new cam cover gaskets too

I could take the car to a garage, but they could also snap the plug, thats how i ended up with all the trouble with the 16V...

I feel sick ....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason you cant get the plug spanner in is because the gaskets have swollen up,you can cut round the inside of the hole with a knife to trim off the bit thats sticking out. to get the plug out loosen it as far as you dare then poor a small amount of diesel down the hole and use the car as normal making sure it always has a small amount of diesel in it at all times,try this for 3 or 4 days and then try it again to see if it comes out.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diesel ???, hmmm would never have thought of that !!, ok, your the expert, will give it ago

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had the same issue, except not caused by oil in the plug well.

I reckon the Lodge plugs I finally managed to get out must have been in for 40K miles (shame on you Howard....), and were as dry as a bone.

I loosened them, sprayed some easy free down, and then just went for it with a 2 foot bar slipped over the socket drive. 5 were extremely tight, and screeched for the first few turns. Luckily they came out and didn't damage the threads. I couldn't turn 2 of them at all just using the socket on its own. Just make sure you've got the plug spanner on nice and straight.

I replaced them with Bosch WR56 Platinum.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Tim Hayes:

I reckon the Lodge plugs I finally managed to get out must have been in for 40K miles (shame on you Howard....), and were as dry as a bone
Oh Bugger :eek: looks like i`ll be in for the same fun as my plugs have been in for the last 54,000 miles that i know of :eek: :rolleyes:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a patten starting to emerge here, apprently these older engines prefer the Golden Lodge plugs, they last a long time, hence nobody bothers to take them out, hence the get stuck in the god damm holes !!!

And all those 16 V owners running around for 60K miles on one set of plugs... well you better pray they come out... Mine didnt !!

THe Lodge plugs that i could get out of the V6 were blackend around the threds... going to have another go this weekend, and prolly for the next few months, might neeed a gallon of deisel !!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Diesel is very good at eating away rust wink As is Brake Fluid strangely :confused: but i would`nt try putting brake fluid down the thread holes as it has a higher flashpoint than diesel eek!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Nope it`s been proven in crash testing that when a car burst`s into flame`s after an accident it`s due to the Brake Fluid igniting before anything else.......Because it has a higher Flash point

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But surely that means it has a LOWER flashpoint...i.e. it ignites at a lower temperature. Is my chemistry that rusty? :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Lower Higher who cares it`s late i`m tired and me brain`s hurting ..................

.......Wrinx your probably right :rolleyes: as i got banned from the Chemistry lab at school :eek:

Maybe i`m thinking of highly flammable who know`s :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.......and you hair still bears the scars from the explosion :p :p :p

Cue Barry...........

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the bugger out !!!, bit of plus gas and a warm engine, it didnt protest at all ... thank god ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts