Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the slow speed cooling fan relay (199) please ?
I have a 2001 3.0 24v spider and seem to have lost both my slow speed fans.
I'm guessing that if one resistor has gone I would only lose one slow speed fan - surely they wouldn't both call time together ....?!!
I'm paranoid about overheating my dear old spider.
It seems to be running hotter with each year.
It used to run between 70 to 90 (indicated) all day long.
Now 90 comes and goes and keeps on climbing until both fans come on full blast.
The water pump was checked when the cambelt was done, I have just replaced the rad and am now convinced I have no slow speed cooling.
I don't seem to be able to get my (free) version of multiecuscan to run the fan test and am running out of ideas....if anyone can tell me where i99 lives and has a part number for it I'd be mighty grateful !
Kind regards
Pete

·
Registered
88 Posts
Repair Instructions Vol 3 Part 2 Page 215. The key in the MAR position. Remove the plug from the L33 sensor. Connect pins A - C (black cable with white and black), relay I99 will switch on by applying ground to Q22 resistor and then to fan P2 (low speed). Turn the key to STOP, connect the pins A - B (black with white and red), the relay I100 will switch on, feeding the mass directly to the fan (high speed).

·
Registered
79 Posts
First Fan Speed temp is on at 87-92C. Second Fan Speed temp is on at 92-97C.
Assuming you have a right hand drive car then I don't know which side your fusebox is located (on my LHD it is left of the steering column). Relays I99 (yellow base) and I100 (black base) are located next to the fuse box. The additional resistance O22 is located at the front of the car on the fan shroud.

Note that there is a functional difference between 12V and 24V V6. But in both cases, as lech said, remove the connector from L33, jumper at the connector Pins A-C (Black to White/Black) and, with ignition on it will fire the first speed. Similarly A-B (Black to White/Red) will fire the second speed. If that works OK and you want to test the switch, remove it and put it in a saucepan of water (not the terminals, obviously) and, using a thermometer and multimeter, see at what temperature the terminals A-C and A-B close.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Lech and BarbyCar - I shall try your suggestions. Much obliged for your help !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts