Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post in a while.......work commitments :disappointed: ,still got a bit of time at the minute so have been playing with the car.

Basically it's running hotter than I would like to see. I have plugged in the multiscan and it more or less agrees with the temp gauge on the dash, the temp rises to the line on the gauge between 90 and 130 (99.8 on multiscan)and at that point the first speed fan kicks in and it drops down a few mil from the line (94.9 on multiscan) I have replaced the temp sensor below the thermostat, the rad has done less than 1000 miles and I flushed the system at the same time. I then thought maybe the stat is stuck shut so removed this and tested it, it did not open in boiling water so I refitted the housing without the stat but the car still climbs to the same temperatures fairly quickly. I then thought airlock but have not been able to bleed anything much out, the rad is hot to touch all the way up and I am now left a bit puzzled.

Any suggestions what to do next? should I drop the coolant and refill?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I replaced the stat and temp sensor at the same time on mine due to it running cool...... then started behaving like yours. Put the original temp sensor back in and it was perfect. I've picked up a bit of a theme on the forums with apparently compatible temp sensors on the web not working on the V6's. I bought mine from Alfa Workshop so you would have thought it would have been ok :furious:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your 1st speed fan kicking in at about 100c is normal
Should normally kick just over the 90 marker and try and keep it there. (which isn't representative of the actual temp) If it's coming in midway between the 90/130 markers, that seems too high and could be a temp sensor calibration issue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, could well be the temp sensor, I changed this because I managed to snap the end of my original one when I changed the clutch :depressed: and to be fair it did seem to read hotter after that. Sounds like a bit of a challenge finding an accurate sensor then?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Have you tried through MultiECUscan that both slow speed (first step) and fast speed (second step) works for the Cooling Fan?
Because to my knowledge the thresholds for the two steps are 98°C and 101°C and the warning light will be turned on at 115°C

The temperature sensor unit for your car has two temperature senders in one housing.
One for the gauge and one for the ECU

The ECU will according to the temperature measurement control the two fan speed steps

So if both your fan speeds work I think it is normal behavior.
If you feel the gauge shows a too high temperature it could be caused by the temperature sender for the gauge has a too low resistance versus temperature

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, yes using multiscan I can operate the fans on both speeds, if I leave the car idle it reaches the temp for fan one to start but then cools so the second speed is not used. It's the fact that the gauge reads so high that caused me to think it is running too hot.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Yes it could be the case

If you look in the attached wiring diagram then you can see the temperature sensor L7 that have two temperature senders.
The temperature senders are NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) resistor.
The resistor gets lower and lower as the temperature increases.

So if the sender for the gauge is lower than specified, the gauge will show a higher temperature than the water actually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just bought a v6..luvely!...except the temp gauge makes me nervous..according to the hand book, it should read around 6 o'clock..mine is reading about 5 past 6..not a particularly hot day either.
Not related, but sometimes i can't get out..the door won't open from the inside...seems as though if its not shut properly ( cant tell it isn't btw) it wont open from the inside.
I thought, Mm..this is why I ain't had an Alfa for 10yrs.
Luv it though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
.....and it took me yonks to find the boot pop up switch. Was in the glove box...hidden and absolutely nothing remotely like it shows in the hand book.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry...first GTV, had a GT last, no probs with aircon.
The aircon in this one ain't to good...not cold enough. It has been serviced and re-gassed...but the ex owner said, yep the aircon isn't very good...common quibble on these. Is that true?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sorry...first GTV, had a GT last, no probs with aircon.
The aircon in this one ain't to good...not cold enough. It has been serviced and re-gassed...but the ex owner said, yep the aircon isn't very good...common quibble on these. Is that true?
Yep..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts