Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
What is the function of the upper resonator box on the V6 and does it have any detrimental effects on the performance/airflow?
Has anyone ever tried replacing it with a straight thru pipe?
Just a thought, I appologise if I'm covering earlier threads. :D

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Keeps induction noise down. Lots of people have replaced with a straight through pipe. :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Most cars are these days have to meet noise regulations that have to apply to where ever the car is sold from GB to USA, Italy to Spain.

Manufactors add resonators to reduce induction noise and get better mpg, removing it increases induction noise and improves airflow there by slightly increasing performance and lowering mpg.

Popular mod that people do rather than fit a open cone filter or other aftermarket induction kit

·
Registered
38,469 Posts
I thought it was there to smooth out the pulses in the air intake system. It basically acts as an air reservoir and is supposed to increase mid range torque.

·
Registered
38,469 Posts
I know yamaha used a similar system called Energy induction on their 2 stroke bikes. Although being a 2 stroke with carbs probably does affect the way it operates slightly..

·
Registered
578 Posts
Most cars are these days have to meet noise regulations that have to apply to where ever the car is sold from GB to USA, Italy to Spain.

Manufactors add resonators to reduce induction noise and get better mpg, removing it increases induction noise and improves airflow there by slightly increasing performance and lowering mpg.

Popular mod that people do rather than fit a open cone filter or other aftermarket induction kit

Do you have any photos of a resonator Tspark?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
not off hand but I think you can jack the car up off the floor (dont forget to use axle stands to be safe), remove the under engine guard and the resonator and lower part of the airbox should be on show around the corner of the offside bumper area.

I think you can just remove it, but I'm not totally sure.

·
Registered
38,469 Posts
I think the original post refers to this bit. the V6 doesn't have a resonator before the airbox, hence the term V6 mod for removing it..

·
Registered
38,469 Posts
The autodelta item does look good I will admit :cool: , although I very much doubt it gives a significant performance boost. The reservoir on the standard intake doesn't cause any restriction.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The autodelta item does look good I will admit :cool: , although I very much doubt it gives a significant performance boost. The reservoir on the standard intake doesn't cause any restriction.
Agree about the looks, but doesnt the kit come with a upgraded filter as well?

It may slightly improve airflow as if it doesnt collect air then how does it reduce induction nose??? Got to be worth investing in if it increases induction noise tho :thumbs:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Right on the button Symon:thumbs:

A general term in my motcross days was ' boost bottle' It was just an ally can joined to the inlet tract with some rubber hose.

Alfa spend a lot of money on engineering stuff like this, its there to do a job. Bar the bling bling, a carbon induction pipe will do very little for performance. Probably about the same performance gain as the wallet weight reduction program. Be a lot cheaper to have some made from ally tube.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ive got a 166 with a V6 and it has a huge box that sits above the air filter housing. Anyone on here put a straight through pipe on a 166 V6 engine?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
For a period I removed my pipe and res. boxes, they should act in a similar manner to silencers on your exhaust, TBH I didn't see any gain either in induction noise or performance...
The Auto delta one looks good enough to eat though, Best bet if youo want to tinker in this direction is the GTA intake - do a thread search....

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
A general term in my motcross days was ' boost bottle' It was just an ally can joined to the inlet tract with some rubber hose.

Alfa spend a lot of money on engineering stuff like this, its there to do a job. Bar the bling bling, a carbon induction pipe will do very little for performance. Probably about the same performance gain as the wallet weight reduction program. Be a lot cheaper to have some made from ally tube.
I remember those "boost bottles" used to keep a "reserve" for when you cracked the throttle open... (same idea as a plenum)

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Apparantly the AD carbon pipe is badly built? Warps, even splits?
Not good for the money.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Apparantly the AD carbon pipe is badly built? Warps, even splits?
Not good for the money.

Having dabbled with carbon on bikes for years, i wouldn't use it for a car intake system

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Although it could suffer from heat soak issues Id say ali piping or other metal piping with silicone hosing to use for bends and connections

1 - 20 of 22 Posts