Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a lot of time away this year so I've had my V6 parked up in the garage unfortunately, zero miles this year. I'm back now and want to play, so have put it into a MOT this week. Not too bad, 4 x new Eagle F1s have gone on and emissions will need sorting - but it has sat for a long time (although regularly turned over) so a good run out should hopefully sort. There is also an imbalance across the rear axle, I suppose I could strip the calipers down but I 've been thinking about putting on new rear calipers - does anyone know of any good deals going? Looking for the 6 fin alloy type, part no. 735245678 & 735245679. I see there in Alfashop for £136 each.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you tried these people? It would seem they do TRW OE replacements too but you have to call for a price. Budweg would seem to be a good refurbisher,. They are a Danish company. More details about them here.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great shout, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Big Redd come highly recommended although i haven’t used them personally. Saw a photo of a pair they refurbished for someone on Facebook recently. I think he said they charged about £190 for a full rebuild including paint in a choice of colours.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Recommendation for BCS here.

Big Redd also do a good job but didnt have the colour choices I wanted.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the recommends, BCS & Big Redd look good. I have no time to do the work myself, so have ordered an alloy set from brakeparts (v6coop's recommend), which the garage can put on later this week, I'll send back the old calipers later to reclaim the surcharge.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
+1 for Big Redd. They did a great job on all four calipers for my S4 Spider.

I'm probably going to get my 916 ones done by them too. One of the rears looked as though it is sticking, when I investigated the pads recently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its usually the handbrake mech that seizes, its a simple case of taking it off and lubing it all up. Its worth a try before you go shelling out needlessly.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I will investigate that first.
I had a pre-MOT done on my Spider and they picked up on something with the rear brakes. I replaced one of the springs and sprayed the lever bit that the handbrake operates with WD40 and alternated between applying the handbrake, releasing and tapping the lever with a hammer until it operated properly. Probably be a lot quicker to do with a helper.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had a pre-MOT done on my Spider and they picked up on something with the rear brakes. I replaced one of the springs and sprayed the lever bit that the handbrake operates with WD40 and alternated between applying the handbrake, releasing and tapping the lever with a hammer until it operated properly. Probably be a lot quicker to do with a helper.
Thanks for the info. Does the handbrake operate directly on the caliper pistons ?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does the handbrake operate directly on the caliper pistons ?

The handbrake pulls the lever in the direction of arrow A and when released it should get pulled back in the direction of arrow B by the spring. The springs often go AWOL or don’t do their job. A liberal spray of WD40 and moving the lever manually generally gets things working as they should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts