Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been wanting a v6 to park along side the JTD for a while just as a toy, but ive been thinking about getting a uprated clutch, new dmf and then getting a remap instead on the JTD. the clutch is ok at the min but i dont think it would cope with the extra ummmphh. :confused:
not sure which to go for and was after a few opinions :)

oh shiz ive got the alfa bug :eek:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
HarryHill_fight.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Buy my V6!!!

Or just about any other V6, they are dirt cheap at the moment. I've run a 20v diesel and a V6 and rate the performance as very similar but the mpg is a different story.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If you can justify having 2 cars then get the v6:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
chris is yours a 5 speed box or 6? didnt think you could fit a q2 to a 5

5 Speed, it's the 20v JTD that you can't fit a Q2 on because it's got a vauxhall gearbox (IIRC)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My (ex) 2.4 10V on a 51 plate was remapped by Angel. It went like the darned clappers and would easily spin the inside wheel on roundabouts in second and when really trying in third. it would spin up the front tyres in the wet in a straight line in third. The torque was immense. It is a VERY different drive to a 2.5 V6. You MUST learn to use the torque of a diesel and not the BHP producing revs (BHP = Torque x RPM/5250). To get the best fun from my mapped 10V I kept it between 1800 and about 2800 rpm. The torque came in at 1400 and very very strong by 1600 rpm but, in my opinion, using all the torque available from 1400 rpm is a bit harsh on the clutch and gearbox.
The Angel map was supposedly 200BHP and I think this was originally a 136BHP car (maybe 140 but not 150) you WILL be amazed by this map. I don't know if it was 200BHP but it felt like it. Certainly my 200BHP unmapped 159 was a slug in ALL side by side runs at any speed. The 156 just drove away; no contest what so ever.
Other things with this map to note:-
Clutches (2 off) lasted about 35,000 miles each. But that was using the torque, having fun and about 75% town driving. You can buy uprated clutches (I didn't know that!)
MPG about 33 - 35 with the above mix of town / dual carriageway driving and using the power.
This car was not fitted with a Q2 LSD - get one.
With foot on the floorboards it will smoke. Those disappearing in your mirror will know you've got your foot down, you won't see them through the diesel haze!
Car mapped at 45,000 miles and sold at 128,000 without any gearbox or driveshaft problems.
The front suspension on a 156 is weak and anything with more than 70 - 80,000 will be well past it's best. The increased power will really play havoc on any car that is less than perfect. Ideally you will want to change dampers. Springs and dampers if you choose but the car is already fairly low and most (all?) after market kits lower it further.
Don't let your mates drive it without being with them as they will shred your front tyres and clutch and then buy their own and you will no longer be in an exclusive club!
Mapped 2.4 10V every time; not as pretty as a later car but soooo cheap. And get a leather one.
NOTE: I don't think the 6 speed on later cars can take the LSD upgrade.

In my opinion the uneven beat of the 5 cylinder sounds rather like a V8. Lovely.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My (ex) 2.4 10V on a 51 plate was remapped by Angel. It went like the darned clappers and would easily spin the inside wheel on roundabouts in second and when really trying in third. it would spin up the front tyres in the wet in a straight line in third. The torque was immense. It is a VERY different drive to a 2.5 V6. You MUST learn to use the torque of a diesel and not the BHP producing revs (BHP = Torque x RPM/5250). To get the best fun from my mapped 10V I kept it between 1800 and about 2800 rpm. The torque came in at 1400 and very very strong by 1600 rpm but, in my opinion, using all the torque available from 1400 rpm is a bit harsh on the clutch and gearbox.
The Angel map was supposedly 200BHP and I think this was originally a 136BHP car (maybe 140 but not 150) you WILL be amazed by this map. I don't know if it was 200BHP but it felt like it. Certainly my 200BHP unmapped 159 was a slug in ALL side by side runs at any speed. The 156 just drove away; no contest what so ever.
Other things with this map to note:-
Clutches (2 off) lasted about 35,000 miles each. But that was using the torque, having fun and about 75% town driving. You can buy uprated clutches (I didn't know that!)
MPG about 33 - 35 with the above mix of town / dual carriageway driving and using the power.
This car was not fitted with a Q2 LSD - get one.
With foot on the floorboards it will smoke. Those disappearing in your mirror will know you've got your foot down, you won't see them through the diesel haze!
Car mapped at 45,000 miles and sold at 128,000 without any gearbox or driveshaft problems.
The front suspension on a 156 is weak and anything with more than 70 - 80,000 will be well past it's best. The increased power will really play havoc on any car that is less than perfect. Ideally you will want to change dampers. Springs and dampers if you choose but the car is already fairly low and most (all?) after market kits lower it further.
Don't let your mates drive it without being with them as they will shred your front tyres and clutch and then buy their own and you will no longer be in an exclusive club!
Mapped 2.4 10V every time; not as pretty as a later car but soooo cheap. And get a leather one.
NOTE: I don't think the 6 speed on later cars can take the LSD upgrade.

In my opinion the uneven beat of the 5 cylinder sounds rather like a V8. Lovely.
nice copy and paste :thumbs: 35k on a clutch isnt good but i expect (or hope) uprated one would last a little longer, good point about the suspension. what would a map strain the most? mines done 135k, so she's no spring chicken but fairly solid i think.
i like leaving a bit of black smoke ;)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well I never! :eek: :lol:

If I could justify to myself to having 2 cars then I'd have a V6 too ... however I know me, and I'd drive the V6 everyday (even though it was slower :p)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
my experience of having both is to get anywhere quick you have to get up to realms of 4k for v6 to come on song whereas the jtd its there remapped of course so IMHO in real world not race track jtd wins hands down especially when your getting twice the mileage plus out of a tank

·
Registered
873 Posts
My 20v 156 chewed three driveshafts in 70,000 miles but it had hard use including 1,000 miles around the Nurburgring, numerous track days in the UK and towing cars on trailers.

The diesel is quick low down but has a short useable rev range - I found 1,800 to 3,000 - so you are changing gear. The V6 is different, with the 6-speed box you can miss gears out and not notice any drop off in performance (I tend to change from 4th straight into 6th). Yes, you have to rev it to get the most out but it goes strongly from 4,000 although the torque peak is 5,000 and power not until something like 6,250.

There is one specific point to point that I use to gauge performance and the V6 and 20v diesel are almost equal on that specific measurement.

I think a diesel and V6 156 would make a great pairing. The best way to decide would be an extended test drive in a V6 then the same in the diesel straight after.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have both combinations and a Gta and a Jts2.0 kicking around.
My first was a return to Alfa in the form of a v6 2.5 veloce sports pack 3,bought in 2004,used as a second car and loved it,but as time went on and funds allowed I bought my first Gta in 2006 and loved it.
It was a different car to the 2.5 to drive and if the 2.5 had that kind of power from the factory it would be a great car,but then they would have had to raise the bar for the Gta.

Anyway decided a red Gta wasn't for me and sold it to John from Day and whites.
Then scanning through pistonheads in 2007 I came across a 2.4Jtd 10v on 03 with lots of mods,including bmc airbox,koni fsd.powerflex bushes,Angel re-map and momo 18" wheels.
I bought it knowing it needed a clutch,so got Neil at Njs to fit a new one and a Q2.
Its close to 200 bhp and handles very well,as a every day car it is fun as the mid range is great for powering past cars.

The thing is I love both engines as they both give power in different ways.
The diesel you need to learn to drive the power band as it quickly runs out.
The petrol is more addictive as the engine note lets you know how brilliant it is.

If you can afford to run both cars, then you certainly will have the best of both worlds.
If you can't the diesel is the practical choice as it returns good fuel consumption and it will have you smiling everytime you put your foot to the floor.(just don't look in your rear view mirror).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It isn't that a remap strains the suspension. It is just that if you use the power in the twisties you are going a lot quicker than a non-remapped car and the shortcomings are highlighted. I rarely drove ours (it was my wifes car) and after not driving it for long periods found the suspension really bouncy. The shocks were totally knackered at just over 100k but poor from about 80k onwards.
How good they are depends on previous owners and how it has been driven so each car will vary but the suspension is not good from the factory and going quick in the twisties is hair raising!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers everyone think im gonna get the JTD remapped probably cheaper in the long run with tax and insurance and as its pretty much as quick there isnt much point in giving the gov money that could go on some koni's. ;)
just gotta save up 2k now if not more :cry:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yesterday a customer came in and said his 2001 2.4 jtd sportwagon has sat around for a while (tax ran out in jan) am i interested in buying it?. He bought it from alfa monza in 08 and it had previously been remapped with special bumpers fitted.He said he only gets 30 mpg when he boots it.I bought it yesterday put two new front tyres on it for its mot and i have booted it ever since ! Great fun its like putting on full power before take off i find myself pulling back on the steering wheel at 70:thumbs:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumbs: think i might get a angel map in the new year and see how she copes. then upgrade a few other bits (suspension and maybe breaks) and a proper remap later on ;)

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Yesterday a customer came in and said his 2001 2.4 jtd sportwagon has sat around for a while (tax ran out in jan) am i interested in buying it?. He bought it from alfa monza in 08 and it had previously been remapped with special bumpers fitted.He said he only gets 30 mpg when he boots it.I bought it yesterday put two new front tyres on it for its mot and i have booted it ever since ! Great fun its like putting on full power before take off i find myself pulling back on the steering wheel at 70:thumbs:
Pics?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts