Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the thread with ts oil consumption, I just wonder if the V6 engines are any better, I'm considering either the 2.0 TS or the 2.5 V6 in a 156. Ive always had Vauxhalls before, and my Dad has too. generally the more worn a vauxhall engine has been, the more oil it uses. My Dads 2.0 8 valve old Calibra uses nothing between oil changes, yet both my Calibra 16v(not redtop) and Corsa GSI use some, the GSI is very worn! The Calibra 16v uses very little and has always used a little sinse nearly new. But nothing like the figures qouted by some TS owners. Im not completely convinced that these engines should use oil! But if the V6 uses less than the TS, this could influence which I choose in the end. So V6 owners, How much does your V6 use? What oil do you use? And previous experiences? Also Ive heard many opinions about which oil should be used? But why and what do AR suggest? What other hidden costs are there when comparing the two models?

·
Registered
38,299 Posts
The V6s I have owned have not been a lot differnt to the TS's I have owned in regards to oil consumption.

However the V6 sump is larger, and the engine is not so suseptible to damage if it is run a bit low on oil.

AR recommends a 10w-40 semi synthetic so i would either go for that or a 5w-40 fully synthetic, which will flow better when cold.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The V6s I have owned have not been a lot differnt to the TS's I have owned in regards to oil consumption.

However the V6 sump is larger, and the engine is not so suseptible to damage if it is run a bit low on oil.

AR recommends a 10w-40 semi synthetic so i would either go for that or a 5w-40 fully synthetic, which will flow better when cold.
What make oil do you use? Obviously with me owning Vauxhalls, I use GM oil, this is supposed to be good quality and as I know my local dealer, I can get this cheap! Could I use this? Its 10w-40 semi synthetic. What other problems apart from the oil consumption and cambelts should I be aware off? The fuel consumption doesnt bother me, I know about the suspension and electrical problems with the cars, Are there any other problems between the two?

·
Registered
38,299 Posts
In my last Alfa V6 I was using Shell helix Ultra. I have also used Motul 8100, Gulf formula G and Texaco Havoline synthetic. (all 5w-40)

I am using Havoline synthetic in my Fiat coupe too.

I don't rate selenia very highly personally.

Some people will also recommend somthing thicker for the V6 like a 10w-50 or 10w-60, however I don't think there is much need unless you live in a very hot country or you use the car on track. All you will be doing is creating more drag and wear in the engine.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I use 10w40 or 10w60 in both my V6 and TS and none of them use any significant oil at all. The TS I owned from new and the V6's have been second hand and all get driven hard with lots of high revs.

I dont think you should really decide on one or the other just on suspected oil consumption, some TS use no oil and some use a lot.

The V6 is a hugely different engine from the TS, its smoother, quieter and makes a fantastic sound when pushing hard. The down side is the extra weight, extra fuel consumption and possible higher service costs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Some people will also recommend somthing thicker for the V6 like a 10w-50 or 10w-60, however I don't think there is much need unless you live in a very hot country or you use the car on track. All you will be doing is creating more drag and wear in the engine.
the 60 just means that it will keep it's molecular bonds in tact and not split and thin when pushed to higher temperatures the 10 will act the same away as a 10w 40 or 10w 50 or 10w 30 (It is a more stable oil in the higher temperature brackets)
I use 10w 60 selinia racing as when I asked the question myself it seamed the most logical choice at the time. Smells nice to :)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Aye! I use regular 10W40 semi synthetic. In summer I sometimes go for a 15W40 as it's a bit thicker and I lose less from seepage leaks.

My beast (190,000m) uses a litre per 4000 miles.. mostly from seepage, I think.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My V6 is on 91,000 miles and uses no oil at all. That is to say, I bought it in May, I've done 4,000 miles since (all hard A road stuff) and the level hasn't dropped. Don't know what oil's in there but it's due a change in about 1,000 miles - don't hate me but I was just gonna get it done at ****-Fit...

·
Registered
38,299 Posts
If you value your car don't go to kwik fit.

I doubt they would even be able to find the oil filter, let alone change it. :tut:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I doubt they would even be able to find the oil filter, let alone change it. :tut:
Exactly.
You usually need to move so much out of the way just to get to the filter on the V6 that they will probably break something.

It is not unknown for people to just give the filter a spray of WD40 and a wipe over to make it look new and not bother to replace it at all... :tut:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts