Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a fault of the car misfiring when hot. When investigating, whenever I grabbed the engine wiring harness the engine would misfire/stall. Fault codes of RPM sensor & knock sensor recorded. Then the engine would not start at all, I've now solved that by fitting a new crankshaft sensor, all good there. Tracing back the wiring from the knock sensor, after the standard 3 pin adapter, I can see a break just after the adapter in the wiring harness. It seems like it uses a shielded cable to presumably take the earth to the ecu. Does anyone have any experience of joining standard electrical wiring to a shielded cable? I've got a soldering iron at the ready but can't work this one out. It's a V6 CF2 by the way.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 24V. The main wire is yellow for the sensor I'm having issues with, although on the other knock sensor the main wire is green?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
108 Posts
That 'green' detail in the manual is misleading in that the same wire is labelled both YEL and GRN without an apparent break for a connector.

I believe that's immaterial though. The wiring you need is for the yellow to be connected to pin 1 and both the grey at pin 2 and black at pin 3 to be joined together and connected to the blue. In your pic, it looks like they join under the (shrink?) tube and emerge as one. There should be two wires then that travel on the car side of the broken wire pair to the ECU (yellow and blue). The shield is not connected to either wire.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, ok. I thought the grey & black wires might attach to a wire that is located alongside the yellow wire (inside the shield). I'm now thinking that the blue wire is completely separate? That said, the other knock sensor looks like it all joins into the same shielded wire. I'll try to hunt out a separate blue wire. Thanks.

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
108 Posts
Your thought is correct. There will be one other wire inside the shield with the yellow wire - attach the grey and black wire to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts