Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just been reading a thread on 156.net where david c from this forum states that he stuck an intake pipe from a v6 on his TS. is this an easy job to do? i just ordered a 57i and was thinking about getting the intake pipe from a 2.4jtd but if the v6 one fits i'll do that. does anyone have any info on this and how much it'l cost etc?

cheers

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
others have used the GTA intake pipe & connected it to the standard airbox, instead of the resonator

·
Registered
121 Posts
Use the GTA pipe....it has a bigger opening. Very easy to do. Put a BMC air filter in the housing too. Every little helps. ( doubt you will notice any difference either)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
just been reading a thread on 156.net where david c from this forum states that he stuck an intake pipe from a v6 on his TS. is this an easy job to do? i just ordered a 57i and was thinking about getting the intake pipe from a 2.4jtd but if the v6 one fits i'll do that. does anyone have any info on this and how much it'l cost etc?
If you have a 147 (as in your profile), then it won't fit...!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was thinking about a GTA intake mod for my airbox but I think I have finally settled on a "Green Stuff" induction kit, complete with heatshield (Green Stuff do a fantastic alloy one to match the cone filter... I want to completely remove the old airbox & resonator.... Saying that, I may well still do the GTA tube mod and take the cold air feed directly from it... Has anyone else done anything similar?
Does it sound viable at all?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The GTA pipe is a perfect pipe for getting cold air from behind the headlight and into the airbox but I dont think its forced cold air and it needs the engine to suck the air through it.

If you use it as part of an enclosed intake system then it would be good but I dont think it will channel any cold air onto a cone type filter if fitted in its standard position.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahh right, so is there any similar mods for the 147's intake? my friend suggests drilling holes all over the airbox but surely that would be pointless as it would be sucking warm air in from the engine? is there even a resonator box on the 147? and where does the standard airbox get its cold feed from?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
ahh right, so is there any similar mods for the 147's intake? my friend suggests drilling holes all over the airbox but surely that would be pointless as it would be sucking warm air in from the engine? is there even a resonator box on the 147? and where does the standard airbox get its cold feed from?
from behind the bumper, there is a hole in it to let in air....

C

·
0 Posts
Fitting a 57i kit negates the need for an air box unless you mean you've bought a replacement "panel" filter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nah i bought the 57i because i though it just went into the standard airbox??? then was going to do the GTA mod so it has a nice cold air feed but i realised that the GTA mod can only be done on the 156... hope that makes some sort of sense. need to clean my MAF before any of this though. where the hell can i get isopropyl alcohol?!!!

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
You can get a flat 57i panel filter ... but if you have the round one then that replaces the lot ... and has mixed results.

What is the problem with the MAF? Cleaning it is a last resort usually ... and normally only necessary if you have other issues. Have you tried running with the MAF disconnected? One a MAF is one the way out it is usually only a matter of time before it dies ... and cleaning it can be the final straw. If you are determined, then you can get PCB cleaner from somewhere like Maplins.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts