Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Had my 156 GTA sportswagen a couple of months now and wished I hadn,t waited so long and been put off by the horror stories about Alfas.

I was just thinking if anyone has put a Alfa V6 in a Caterham or similar type of kit car. If they have could you let me know which kit was used as I am thinking of selling my bikes and building a kit.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
HI, Welcome to the forum! any pics of the GTA?

As for the V6 kit car - dont know of them slotting in to a Cateram and the like but they go in to Stratos replicas nicely.

If its not been done to a caterham size car then be the first to do it :D :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I remember seeing some pictures of a V6 powered Locost a while ago.

*Edit* - Too slow. :eek:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice choice of car - well done :cool:

As to the Caterham question... Well, engine weight is critical in such a car, the bike engined versions (with an engine/gearbox weighing maybe 90kg) handle markedly better than the road car versions, and the lighter road engine versions (Rover K series etc) handle markedly better than even slightly heavier engined versions, such as those with the 2 litre Vx engine.

I know a K-series engine is not much over 100kg (engine only), how much does an Alfa V6 weigh? Great engine though it is, it is not that light, is it? My feeling would be that it would massively compromise handling on track, for road use it might be OK but you'd lose that light,adjustable, delicate feel that only the light-engined 7's have. I've driven Caterhams with 100,120,135, and 200bhp and the 135bhp is the version that was by far the best. My 120bhp Academy car in it's original trim on rock-hard road tyres and with no trick bits was badly held up on one trackday by some westfield SEIGHTs, with Rover V8's, An Alfa V6 is probably not a lot lighter.

I was also amused to see in one Autocar track test that a 350bhp scooby on track tyres, with fully adjustable everything set for track work and driven by Phil Bennet (i.e. a pro driver) posted the same brands lap times as my 120bhp Caterham in Roadsports B trim... driven by me, not a pro... 56 seconds dead. Weight is everything if you plan track work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys I,ll get some pics up in the next week not home until Thursday.

I was thinking more of a road biased Caterham than track only. I,ve seen quite a few V8 powered ones but nothing with an Alfa engine.
I will try and find out how much the V6 weighs. I can see the bike engined ones are good on the track but on the road they must be hard work on a long run.

P.S Anyone off to Le mans this year.

Paul

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Same car......

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I remember those pics :D The 147 behind the yellow monster was my beloved 147.

I had the pics on CD Rom somewhere in my archives, but you were quicker then me

·
Registered
39,115 Posts
There is a GTA engine on ebay at the moment, starting bid £1500.. it done 12,000miles. Would do nicely in a kit..

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
selespeed said:
I remember those pics :D The 147 behind the yellow monster was my beloved 147.

I had the pics on CD Rom somewhere in my archives, but you were quicker then me
I've got about 10,000 pics of car stuff on my home pc........so I always have a pic of something somewhere :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

G

·
Ooohhh...That Caterham!! Look at it!!:cool: :cool:

All of that lovely engine nicely tucked behind the front axle:cool: I think that one goes to the top of my Trackday car wishlist..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
symonh2000 said:
There is a GTA engine on ebay at the moment, starting bid £1500.. it done 12,000miles. Would do nicely in a kit..
My thought exactly.
Be interesting how much it goes for and if he has all the rest of the parts to get it running. I,ve only found the one kit that will accept the V6 so far.

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts