Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently changing the cambelt on a GTV V6. All going to plan so far and pretty much textbook.

I am wondering what tool people use to remove the idler bolts? I have a good quality allen bolt (8mm I believe) to fit however cannot get a socket in the gap so having to use a 10mm spanner over the top. As it is a 10mm it is short shaft/low torque so the bolt isn't moving.

Before I cause any damage I wondered what tools other people use to get these bolts out? I'd rather buy a decent tool than risk rounding off the bolt.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers!

Sometimes you get stuck in a task and "can't see the woods for the trees' so to speak.

I have a superb quality set of standard allen keys that I had forgotten about! 30 seconds with one of these and an extension bar and they are off!

·
Registered
360 Posts
No problem Russ, glad I could help someone else for a change. The fun comes when you put them back on. No way to get a torque wrench in and no torque values any where that I could find either to help me guess if they need to be tight or bloody tight.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing as these were bloody tight, I think I will go with that value when replacing!:thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
They are tight because the soft alu thread gets a grip on the bolt over time. Therefore be very careful when installing not to overtighten and strip the threads. Its a feel thing. I do it with a normal allen key with no extension when installing. Always needs extension when uninstalling.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Just did mine to 50Nm.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Also, the idler bolt towards the front bank is 40mm on eper, I pulled out a 45mm bolt which seemed to be gripping the threads towards the rear of the recess better.

The correct 40mm bolt stripped the thread so I had to helicoil it.

All back together correctly now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts