Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The head(s?)gasket(s?) have blown last week on my V6... :( ... my local agent tell me he has to remove the engine from the car to get the rear head.. I absolutely do not trust this guy and would want to know if this is correct...
Can anybody help ? I afraid I'm on the way for big expenses.. does anybody have an idea of the amount ?
Thanx a lot...

Cheers

Val

R

·
0 Posts
I think it is possible to replace the rear head gasket with the engine in place but it will be simpler for your mechanic to drop the engine.

You should consider it, as it means you can change the cam belts at the same time, if yours are anywhere near needing replacement. It makes the job more expensive but it will save a few quid down the line.

I'm afraid that an engine out, two new gaskets, block pressure test and re-assembly, you're not going to get much change out of a Gorilla (about 1,500 Euros).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Ralf...

For sure, if the engine is dropped, I'll change all the belts and even the clutch, I think...

All that come from a damaged water tank cap... be carefull, guys... :)

Each month brings his surpise but this one was hard....

Cheers,

val

J

·
0 Posts
i would agree it would be very difficult to do the rear gasket and like you say you may as well do the belts and clutch.

L

·
0 Posts
hello the rear head gasket can be changed without engine removal you only have to take every pinbolt (the bolt thats you hold the cylinder head in place with ) out of the engine block with to nuts that you screw down on the bolt and the tighten against each other. when you bolt the head on again remember to give the bolts locktight wink

J

·
0 Posts
yeh i knew it was possible that way but with wet liners it would be very difficult to replace the lower seal if they need doing....not impossible just a pain in the ass.!! eek!

L

·
0 Posts
your right jb but if the oring for the liner was crap there would be water in the oil and not the other way right ,and the liners dont go with up if you rock the head to the side before you lift it up. wink wink

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello !!!

My mechanics tried to remove the pinbolts but didn't succeed... he's afraid to break one of them... so, I think we are going to an engine drop... I really do not trust this guy... if somebody can give me a good adress in Brussels, I'd be more quiet.. :)

Thanx...
Bye
Val

J

·
0 Posts
i think you are doing it the best way, you see all around the engine and it makes life so much easier...also have the clutch looked at as well.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi i recently changed the head gaskets in my v6, and it,s quite easy to remove the rear cylinder head without removing the engine, i removed the front head first then disconnected the right hand engine mtg and stabiliser on top,this will allow you enough room to swing the engine forward enough to slide the head up off the bolts, it,s tight but it,s not that bad certainly easier than removing the engine, of course if you want to do the clutch also then that,s different.i also did the belt at the same time without too much hassle.one other thing i did at the same time i had the rear head off was to overhaul the alternator ,just in case, you cant even see it with the head on. regards Paul PS the parts alone to do the job cost me 500 euros, also a lot of sweat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts