Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's GT has suffered with an annoying ticking noise from cold for the last year. This subsided as the car warmed up but was always slightly audible.

Loads of possible solutions are mentioned on AO etc but for us, we've finally had a definite answer:cool:

The new garage I have found use an inert smoke generating machine that connects to the exhaust pipe.

The pumps highly visible smoke through the entire system to show leaks.

There are a few minor leaks from the cat back wizard system (at the joins) but the main one was at the manifold gasket as the nuts had come loose. Torqued up & totally silent so very happy.

Also, they fitted a new genuine oil filter as since the oil change (different garage) it's been like the Exxon Valdiz. The pattern part just didn't seal right:(

So, happy and as the weekend weather is good, it'll get some use:thumbs:

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mine blows from one of the manifold to downpipe joints, but only for around 30 seconds from cold. Interesting about the oil filter as I have a genuine one and that worked itself loose, causing quite a leak of oil. I've tightened it back up and seems OK so far......fingers crossed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great result, SR :thumbs:
Mine's still ticking! Which garage did you use? Probably worth me taking a trip there.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I never knew this method of testing existed, I need to try this on my 159 to get to the bottom of the fumes that come in the car. Loads of guides on how to make a smoker on youtube, but does anyone know of a garage that has this kit around Herts?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My wife's GT has suffered with an annoying ticking noise from cold for the last year. This subsided as the car warmed up but was always slightly audible.

Loads of possible solutions are mentioned on AO etc but for us, we've finally had a definite answer:cool:

The new garage I have found use an inert smoke generating machine that connects to the exhaust pipe.

The pumps highly visible smoke through the entire system to show leaks.

There are a few minor leaks from the cat back wizard system (at the joins) but the main one was at the manifold gasket as the nuts had come loose. Torqued up & totally silent so very happy.

Also, they fitted a new genuine oil filter as since the oil change (different garage) it's been like the Exxon Valdiz. The pattern part just didn't seal right:(

So, happy and as the weekend weather is good, it'll get some use:thumbs:

Cheers,
Well this is handy to read, just went out in my GT for the first time in 3 weeks and as I turned the engine on and sat there letting the car warm up I could hear a slight ticking noise to. Checked under the bonnet but was impossible to see where it was coming from. Only problem is Swansea is way to far for me to travel too :confused: will look more into it soon
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts