Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a V6 trying to remove the front flexi exhaust pipe, I've snapped one of the studs between manifold and exhaust when trying to remove nut. Whats the best way of going about this without taking the manifold off, drill out remaining stud and replace with a bolt?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Out of interest why wouldn't you replace with another stud as opposed to a bolt?
Access mostly and bone idleness! Without taking the manifold off the block, access is quite limited and getting a drill precisely centred on the old stud isn't easy. And as the downpipe has over large holes there's no need to be stupidly fussy.

If I were to do it again, I would be tempted to use heat to try and remove the old stud. I may even try and weld a bit of metal to the stud to extract it. The weld will provide plenty of heat to help loosen the stud. Another technique is to use a stick welder and deliberately allow the stick to fuse with the stud, getting the stud red hot very quickly and then the stick can be bent and used to turn the stud*.

* I've never done this myself so no personal experience as to whether it works or not!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts