Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm doing some work on my exhaust in the coming few days. I'm sure the current bolts securing the joints won't be re-useable so I want to get some new bolts before I start.

I believe these are M8 x 50mm: can anyone confirm???

cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used regular M8 BZP bolts, nuts and washers. dead cheap and do the job. I think 50 mm is plenty of length for all joins. Bit of copperslip to make it easier if it has to come apart. The manifold studs (to engine block and on the downpipe end of the manifold are also M8) I used new copper flashed lock nuts when i had to get m manifold welded.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Just any M6 / M8 make sure you get Nylock nuts so they don't come undone.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
K nuts or plain nuts with spring washers would be better, nylocs tend to melt on exhaust fittings. Don't be tempted to use stainless fixings either...heat WILL make them seize up.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Oh yes sorry. Good point well made. Think I went overboard and added the lot.
Could always do the two nut trick to stop them undoing. Just make sure the bolts are big enough for a good fixing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K nuts or plain nuts with spring washers would be better, nylocs tend to melt on exhaust fittings. Don't be tempted to use stainless fixings either...heat WILL make them seize up.
There are nuts?

Mine looks like the standard exhaust: the fixings are rusty, but it looks as though there are captive nuts at the front of the mid section, and... hard to tell what's going on at the join between mid and rear sections. I'm getting the car up on ramps at the end of the week, so hopefully things will become clearer then...

ePer only lists screws and washers, BTW, not nuts on the Alfa parts list for the exhaust system...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I suspect we are assuming that by the time you get it apart, the threads will be FUBAR...hence the need for nuts and bolts. I've had to drill out broken studs and use nuts and bolts before now. It's not ideal but works perfectly well.

You might get lucky, depends on if the last person there used some copper slip or not, or how badly corroded it all is.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
As mentioned, on the std exhaust there are no bolts, but either pressed in or threaded in studs. After 10+ years the threads on these are usually in poor condition, so people remove the studs and replace with ordinary bolts (ideally zinc plated cap screws), which is easy enough. That's for the manifold to flexi section, and flexi to mid exhaust section. The back to mid section on my V6 is an old fashioned slip joint with U-clamp. Of course your car may be different as there are a few variations.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
They are welded in nuts. I know because I had to angle grind the crap out of mine to get them off.

You'll need to do the same.
Then new bolts and nuts.
Some lovely exhaust paste for the join to help seal it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts