Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having replaced the oil cooler pipes and the cambelt, my V6 GTV has now decided to start throwing engine ECU errors, including this one for P1690 - Safety cut-off.

The accompanying text in MES describes this is the "Fuel cut-off/intake solenoid" - but what and where is this?

I'm assuming it's item M15 from the wiring diagram below - and not the fuel pump cut-off switch - can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
186 Posts
In this 145 thread the originator replaced the throttle body P1690

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Those codes both point to throttle body issue, the m15 you circled in diagram is the evap valve for fuel tank breather system whether that would cause the codes you have I find doubtful.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those codes both point to throttle body issue, the m15 you circled in diagram is the evap valve for fuel tank breather system whether that would cause the codes you have I find doubtful.
Yes, I think you’re right - yesterday I swapped the TB with an identical one from my 166 and the GTV ran fine for 30mins with no error codes generated.

So what is the evap valve - is that on the fuel tank??

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
No usually behind an arch liner,it directs tank vapour through a carbon canister to the intake. Not sure about exact setup on Alfa but that’s a typical set up

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
186 Posts
No usually behind an arch liner,it directs tank vapour through a carbon canister to the intake. Not sure about exact setup on Alfa but that’s a typical set up
Unless it is a V6 TB in which case it is in the boot next to the vapour separator and charcoal canister.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've purchased a replacement throttle body (thanks to Nathan at Cloverbreakers) and fitted it today: the engine error codes have now gone.

Once fitting the new TB, I performed a throttle reset and the car is now running nicely.

I'm not quite happy with its tickover yet so will be trying some MAF cleaner next; if that doesn't work then I have LAMBDA probe to fit on the rear bank (having already replaced the front).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts