Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Has anyone got any tips for removing the inner metal sleeve on the upper engine mount bushings, I’ve taken the part out and removed the bushing but I cannot get the metal sleeve out...I’m working within a Vice for getting a good grip on it is an issue...I’ve tried cutting it and chiseling it but it ain’t moving for me...

Have some new power flex bushes ready to go...eventually!

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guys,

Has anyone got any tips for removing the inner metal sleeve on the upper engine mount bushings, I’ve taken the part out and removed the bushing but I cannot get the metal sleeve out...I’m working within a Vice for getting a good grip on it is an issue...I’ve tried cutting it and chiseling it but it ain’t moving for me...

Any advice?

Thanks
A hydraulic press?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I recall correctly, flat screwdriver, knife and fire for the remaining bits worked for me.

Is is all bonded, you can't just take "it out"

Inserted the, in my case, strongflex on the vice, with the help of some grease.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guys,

Any advice?

Thanks
Did you manage to remove the sleeve to press in the poly bushing? Do you even need to remove the sleeve?

I have the same thing to do next week so I am interested in the process.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If it's an interference fit put it in a vice with a pair of sockets on either side, one small enough to push it out of the housing and one large enough to sit the housing in and with enough space inside to receive the bush. If it's bonded, well this method might work too!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dont know if you need the sleeve undamaged for some reason, but the easiest way is just to saw through it. That removes all the tension and it comes out easy. Needs to be done with care obviously so you dont damage the holder itself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont know if you need the sleeve undamaged for some reason, but the easiest way is just to saw through it. That removes all the tension and it comes out easy. Needs to be done with care obviously so you dont damage the holder itself.
I got my PU bushes yesterday and to confirm that, yes you need to remove the metal sleeve. To remove it cut it on the inside with a saw blade and it comes out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts