Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Do you use 2nd gear to move off in your Alfa V6?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No, Never

Votes: 8 30.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was experimenting the other day and was surprised by how easily my 156 V6 pulls off in 2nd gear. So much so that I thought perhaps I'll start doing it on a more regular basis.

How many of you V6 owners often use 2nd to pull off?

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I've only ever done it by mistake; but as you say it's remarkably comfortable to do it - not bad for an engine some say lack torque!!!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Some times like when pulling off from a rolling start at a roundabout or on a downhill pull off.

E

·
0 Posts
Never actually pull away from a stand still, but coming up to a junction like the end of my road I will leave it in second and not bother with 1st.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
agree with Adam. If the car is rolling still then 2nd is fine.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If you value your clutch life you wont take off in second too much..

I'm pretty sure the GTA can take off in third though, I know I did it once by mistake in slowish traffic.

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
First is a bit useless for fast take-offs in the wet.. But I must do a thousand first gear launches for every second gear launch I do.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Dont do it very often but depends what mood I am in. I often go 2nd to 4th to 6th if rolling dont want to replace the clutch. I my lorry I start off in 5th or 3rd lo then straight to 6th high depends what gearbox I got and if empty or loaded. Either way nt my lorry not my clutch!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep .
Never from a complete standstill , but always if the wheels are rolling .
It's something I picked up on when driving delivery vans , if the van is unladen then the gearing & engine loading involved make perfect sense.:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I tend to do it all the time when I sit in the traffic and crawl along

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Have a few times, saves a gear change !!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
useful if the road condition dictate...i.e. it's icey

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I can't believe this thread hasn't descended into ****take :lol:

i.e.

If I was pulling off in the car I wouldn;t be able to change gear and steer at the same time :D

Anyway, yes, but only on slight downhill gradients or steep junctions.

I generally go like this, 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th, the GTA has so much low down grunt I tend to put it in 5th when tootling round at 30mph, in 4th it feels like a beast barely reigned in and makes me want to boot it EVERYWHERE :D

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have actually pulled off in 3rd, in a 2.0 ts before (yeterday infact). Did surprisingly well (it was an accident of course).

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
By the time you've realised the hand break isn't on your up and running.(even in not a V6)

V

·
0 Posts
Always first and may miss second or third (if wet) but your all on about newer ones than mine :lol: as my gearbox is at the back it takes a while to warm up before I have the full selection

1 - 18 of 18 Posts