Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m changing the cambelt on a 3.0 V6 - it’s actually on a GTV, but its the same problem on any of the V6s.

I’ve got the nut off, no problem, using an electric impact wrench. The washer was there and is off too.

But the pulley stuck solid - it won’t come off. So far I’ve used:

- plastic hammers
- levering it off using the thick sump casting as a fulcrum
- lump hammers
- reasonable (conventional blow torch) heat.
- a cheap three legged puller that managed to get pretty tight before it sprung off

I’ve accepted that the pulley will die in the removal process and have got a replacement.

My options left are:

- Stihl saw
- proper heat (oxy torch)

Anyone got any ideas, or recommendations for a puller that actually fits? Never had this before, normally they come off with a quick wriggle after the nut is undone.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Facom U.306PB 2 or 3 Leg Internal & External Puller

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta muchly. Ordered.

Facom stuff has gone through the roof recently - I got a really good splitter a few years ago for about £30 - they're 150 now!

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
It puts out 3 tonnes - if the inner part of the pulley is that seized on, it'll rip the outer half off the inner half and then you can use it again on the inner half. That has happened to me once before.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Knowing my luck, I'd end up welding it to the crankshaft....

I could attack it with an oxy blowtorch, but that might wreck something else!
Crank seal, but after that I can't think of anything in the area.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
Did you have to heat it, or did it come straight off? Its a good puller, love mine. I save it for special occasions only, I've got a cheap puller which does most little jobs. :D

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Came straight off - needed a fair bit of pressure to get it moving. Even when it was half off, I couldn’t move it by hand - a very dry, corroded surface. The best bit about the puller is that you can tighten the legs onto the pulley, rather than trying to hold all three legs on while you wind up the tension.

I got a Sealey set - £15 for three pullers, Utter junk in comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts